In Chicago, don't ask directions

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:01 pm
Quote:

October 17, 2013, 3:27 p.m.
An Arkansas man visiting Chicago was shot and killed early Thursday by a man he had asked for directions, according to police and local media reports.

Police officials told the Chicago Tribune that Robert Franklin, 55, and a friend were in town to visit relatives when they got lost.

Officer Daniel O'Brien, a police spokesman, told the Los Angeles Times that a man got into the pair's car and pulled out a gun to rob them.

After the suspect got out, he shot into the vehicle "several" times - hitting Franklin, who was riding in the passenger seat, four times in the back, O'Brien said.

Franklin's friend drove him to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, where Franklin was pronounced dead, police said.

Police aren't sure where the crime occurred, and the Tribune reported that officers did not have a description of the suspect.

An investigation is underway.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-shooting-chicago-directions-20131017,0,7363037.story

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
A charged area. Any of us could be that man.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Yup. I've been known to ask for directions when in the Windy City.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
To reply to myself, I take this as war zone. These abound.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Could've happened in any major city, of course. It's just that in this case it was Chicago. I doubt that New York or, say,Detroit or New Orleans or Atlanta are any safer.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I drove in a war zone looking for my runaway dog. Nobody killed me. I was probably too bizarre for being there, but I was treated ok, that was when I had the crap fiat convertible. So, a fool driving slowly, looking for SandPaw.

I got over that view later - my later to be husband was raised in a similar area. He took my being treated well as normal, and he was white in south LA.

I finally found my dog many blocks away at a party, a gay party (then big news to me), they called me from his tags. This might have been the start of my being aware of and liking gays.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:32 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The problem wasn't when he asked for directions, it was when he allowed a stranger into his car. Anyway, directions in Chicago are easy. Just remember: the lake is always east.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:51 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Just remember: the lake is always east.
That's to the left, isn't it? Or was it starboard?

But more on the topic: when c.i. asked directions, we were sent to the wrong platform, got the wrong train, ... ... ... weren't shot, however.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 10:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Could've happened in any major city, of course. It's just that in this case it was Chicago. I doubt that New York or, say,Detroit or New Orleans or Atlanta are any safer.

Most residents of specific cities have what one calls "street smarts" for that city. Meaning they know where they can go, and at what times. Being a visitor to any city is a risk, in my opinion, since one doesn't have a map that states the street smart criteria.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 06:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Unlikely. Guns are almost totally illegal in Chicago.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 09:09 pm
One person asks directions and gets shot. This doesn't mean that no one should ask directions.

It is ridiculous to let a single story affect your behavior.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 09:39 pm
@maxdancona,
is this a Miller thread?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 02:11 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Unlikely. Guns are almost totally illegal in Chicago.
Good point. He shud have complained about that
to the guy who shot him.

David
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 08:03 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

The problem wasn't when he asked for directions, it was when he allowed a stranger into his car. Anyway, directions in Chicago are easy. Just remember: the lake is always east.

Good old Joefrom canada , always helpful with nonsense.
Miller

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 08:07 am
@Lustig Andrei,
quote="Lustig Andrei"
Quote:
I doubt that New York or, say,Detroit or New Orleans or Atlanta are any safer.

Chicago , in some parts of the City, can be dangerous and in others fairly safe. I have to say "fairly safe" because I can remember a law professor at Northwestern University who was stabbed to death by an outsider, as he was reading in the NU law library.

The victim was taken to John H. Stroger Hospital. The hospital is located in the Illinois Medical District on Chicago's Near West Side, adjacent to Rush Medical College. That info should provide a little information about where the incident may have taken place.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 08:16 am
@roger,

Guns are almost totally illegal in Chicago.

That's why they're so popular. Just like prohibition. It was illegal but very popular and very common."Knock-Knock" on the door and say you're interested in a cup of 'tea"...let the booze flow, my man.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 08:14 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Good old Joefrom canada , always helpful with nonsense.

Good old Millerqueenoftheghetto, always unhelpful with anything.
0 Replies