homemade snacks that are healthy for cats

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 11:46 am
I was wide awake this morning just after sun up, making coffee and cleaning a bit, when I glanced out the glass filled back door and saw a kitty cat. A cat! A cat! It ran away sort of slowly, looking back at me a couple of times. Awww.

I haven't had a cat in decades since I'm allergic to them, going from sneezies to asthmatic on occasion, but not lately since I'm not around them for long at a time.
But I've loved many cats in the past despite all this and still like seeing them in my neighborhood if they are out and about. They aren't often - if there are cats here, they're insiders. I don't know if the nearby petroglyph area has cat predators, but I know the fast car street behind mine has cars that can kill cats. So, fostering a cat in wandering behavior strikes me as iffy, at the same time I had a quick instinct to give the cat a scratch on the noggin or maybe even a morsel of something. No, not a bowl.

I'll have to ask my neighbors up and down the block, as I assume it belongs to one of them - it's not scrawny or unhealthy looking at quick glance. I didn't see tags but I didn't look fast enough for them. It's also possible someone moved (the woman across the street, I am guessing) and the cat might not have been part of that.

I'll undoubtedly not end up feeding it in any way, even a morsel, so this thread is more for general interest. The last time I saw a cat around here was a few years ago, and I only saw it a few times; quite skittish, clearly a pet.
Still, I was surprised that I didn't remember in those few seconds what is safe as a small munchie for cats.

What might happen if it shows up at my door again is I offer a morsel so the cat comes near me, and then I could check the tags.

Meantime, for the rest of you who love and live with cats, do you give them snacks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 11:56 am
@ossobuco,
given his druthers, stinky would like a parakeet please...

he gets 1/3 of a can of wet food daily.

or he becomes very obnoxious...
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:22 pm
@ossobuco,
In my experience, domestic softy cats tend to go mad for chicken or fish, rarely both. One cat we had would kill for anything vaguely fishy, but offer him some chicken and he would totally ignore it.
Another cat was the exact opposite.
An independent cat (feral, but not averse to a bit of long distance pampering) will scoff down anything and everything.

I would advise playing it cool for a while before trying fo investigate whether it has tags or not. It may frighten the cat and/or cause shredding to your hands. Let the relationship develop over a week or so.

Tip.
If you want to break the ice quickly, get yourself a long piece of string, tie some scrap paper at one end and slowly drag it across the floor when moggie is around.
No self respecting cat can ignore that.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 09:55 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks all...

have not seen the scamp since, will report if so.

I happen to have some string (did you know that is fairly hard to find here in ordinary stores?), but I'm doubting that would help me re the cat.
My fish at hand is generally sardines in louisiana hot sauce. I take that as a maybe,
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 10:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, I'm full of it, I could be having a new cat.
So far, not.
0 Replies