Do you often happen to shorten words in everyday life?

Nat093

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 02:51 pm
It is question especially for native speakers of English or people who use this language.

I mean e.g. phone < telephone, burger < hamburger , exam < examination etc.
If you do, what kind of words? What are the reasons (laziness, trend)? In which situations (chat room, forum,school)?

Now I'm writing my graduation work about the clipping process, so any information will be useful for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:20 pm
@Nat093,
Try to include at least one aussie (Australian) in your blurb (piece of writing). They clip loads of words.

Are you including substitute words? If so, you'll have a field day with us Brits.

Everyday substitutes.

Ruby(curry), bumff (junk mail, or useless paperwork), porkies (lies, fibs), Cream Crackered (tired out, knackered), wally (idiot), and loads more.....
dalehileman

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:23 pm
@Nat093,
Yes, a whole lot

Quote:
It is question especially for native speakers of English or people who use this language.
That's me, Nat

Quote:
If you do, what kind of words?
Longer ones or those used frequently. Usernames

Quote:
What are the reasons (laziness, trend)?
Yes. Expediency

Quote:
In which situations (chat room, forum,school)?
Too old for the last, but just about anywhere else except in a Letter to the Editor of our local Fourth Estate

Quote:
Now I'm writing my graduation work about the clipping process, so any information will be useful for me.
Nat I'd be most happy to oblige if you could pose a more specific sort of q
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:31 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thank you for your response but I'm afraid you didn't understand me well. I only meant those words whose one part is shortened, not compeletely different words which have the same meaning.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:39 pm
@Nat093,
That's why I asked.

OK.

Telly -television.
Budgie - Budgerigar.
Wellie - wellington boot.
Mack - Mackintosh (raincoat)

Some Australian ones for starters.....
Barbie - barbecue
Rellies - relatives

Nat093

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:51 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks a o lot Smile By the way, where are you from?
Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 03:57 pm
@Nat093,
I live in Canada. We tend to clip our g's. eg. How's it goin? I'm doin' fine.
Exam and phone are real words, in the dictionary and everything.... Hardly laziness.
It also helps to know that we tend to use the long form of a word for one thing and the short for another. A test in school would be an exam, a doctor's trip might include an examination. Now that cell or mobile phones are so common, home phones are now called land lines. Telephone is used, just not as commonly. A TV is short for television, but people are just as likely to say they've got a plasma, a description of the screen type.
Roberta

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 09:32 pm
Here are a few that pop to mind:

info (information)
el (elevated train)
bud (buddy)
remote (remote control)

Car names:

Chevy (Chevrolet)
Caddy (Cadillac)
Jag (Jaguar)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 02:38 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

Thanks a o lot Smile By the way, where are you from?

England, although I have rellies all over the place, as most Brits do.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 02:44 am
@Roberta,
......."Jag (Jaguar)"

I forgot the car ones.....

Bee Emm - BMW (sometimes called a beamer)
Merk - Mercedes
Aston - Aston Martin

Back to everyday words....

Brekky - Breakfast (usually a kid's expression)
Bikky - Biscuit ( ditto)
Cauli (pronounced colly) - Cauliflower
Mash - Mashed potato.
Staffy - Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Lab, or Labby - Labrador
Chocky (sp?) - Chocolate
G&T - Gin and Tonic
Ciggie - Cigarette
Sammy, or Sarny - Sandwich

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:02 am

People from Liverpool do it a lot. It's not cute, it's a pain in the arse. It's childish, basically, and sometimes exclusive.
Also in the patois of black teenagers, for the same reason.

Come to think of it, so do the Scots. I suppose every section of society and every nationality does it. Rugger, bacca, dunny....etc ad nauseam.
Roberta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:10 am
Food:

BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich)
mayo (mayonnaise)
malted (malted milk)

Animals:

rhino (rhinoceros)
hippo (hippopotamus)
gator (alligator)
croc (crocodile)

Appliances:

AC (air-conditioner)
fridge (refrigerator)

Clothes:

PJs (pajamas)
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:28 am
This is just ordinary development in language--all languages do this, and in some cases, a word has been "shortened," as you call it, for so long that almost no one recalls the origin.

When we use motorized public transport, we "take the bus." Bus is short for omnibus, which means, in this context, for everyone (this is a typical medieval corruption of Latin).

What Americans call gasoline is called petrol in most other parts of the English-speaking world. Petrol is a shortening of petroleum, which is a quasi-Latin term cobbled together to mean oil from rocks.

Nautical terminology was long notorious for verbal shortening--the words were shortened when they were pronounced. So, for example, on a square rigged ship, the third sail on a mast was called the top gallant sail--sailors said "t-garn-s'l." But that has also resulted in the creation of new words, too. A ship powerful enough to hand out heavy punishment, and to endure heavy punishment was said to be able to "lie in the line of battle." This gave us two words. In the 18th and 19th centuries, sailors called such a ship a "liner." Because they were comparatively luxurious, we now use the word liner to mean a luxurious ship, such as a cruise ship--RMS Titanic was intended to be a liner. Line of battle ship was also shortened into battleship. The petty officer responsible for the rigging of a ship, the ordinary equipment for running the ship, and the supervision of the crew at work is called a bosun. This is another verbal shortening which has become a word--it was originally boatswain, meaning a "boat's boy," a servant. A small boat carried on a ship was called a cox in the middle ages, from which the word coxswain (boat servant, or boat boy) derived. Coxswain was verbally shortened to coxon, but in this rare case, Coxon has become a family name, but is still spelled coxswain in ordinary use. It means someone who commands and steers a small boat propelled by oars. The term is still in use in the Royal Navy for a particular petty officer, and in competetive rowing, small boat racing.

Telegraphy--the use of the telegraph (which means writing over distances)--was originally, and well into the 20th century, transcribed into ordinary handwriting. However, in the mid-20th century, printers were invented for the purpose, and were quickly adapted for sending text message by telephone as well. The printer was called a teletypwriter, and was verbally shortened to telex. We now use telex to describe the message, and it is most often used to describe financial transactions sent over a telegraph or telephone line.

I suppose if i spent more time, i could think of more ot them--but i go along with those here who don't actually see this as "shortening" words. This is neologism, the creation of new words.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:36 am
@McTag,

Speaking of rugger, which is a contraction of the term Rugby Football, were you aware that soccer is a contraction of Association Football?

I believe I've mentioned this before; Mr Setanta may remember it.

That's a goody, innit?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:41 am
New Zilund owns international rugby.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:56 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

In which situations (chat room, forum,school)?

I went back to look at the original question. All the examples I gave are used in all situations, except perhaps the most formal.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:05 am
@Ceili,
Okay, I understand, thank you. To make it clear - I only provided these examples in case somebody does not know what this process is. The other term for clipping is elision.
Obviously, I would be grateful if you could share words that do not appear in the dictionary with me, and which you use in every day situations e.g. in conversaion with close friends.
The reason of using shortened words are also only my suggestion (however, laziness is given as a possibly reason in K. Blatt's book).
Remember that I am not English and I might not know certain things. That is why I added this post - to learn something interesting from you Smile

One more thing - please include information about your nationality as it will be very useful in this case.

Thank you all for the responses!
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:14 am
@Nat093,
And thank you for your replies.

It makes such a difference when someone comes back and responds positively. I hope your project is a great success.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:01 pm
@Nat093,

I am from Scotland, where the purest English is spoken. Wink

It is the northern part of the UK.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:24 pm
I'm a native New Yorker.

Thought of more shortened expressions.

gonna (going to. I'm not gonna do that.)
gotta (have got to. I gotta go to the dentist)
wanna (want to. I don't wanna go to the dentist.)
shoulda, coulda, woulda (should have, could have, would have)

I use these expressions when I'm writing in this forum and in message to friends. I also speak like this all the time, unless I'm making a formal presentation, and even then they might slip in.