God...why would he not show his face or an miracle to save millions!

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Neo and I have been going at it in heated arguments for over a decade now..
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Haha the atheist versus the JW, it's almost as entertaining as 'King Kong versus Godzilla"..Smile
You want a real opponent? Try taking on the kid from Nazareth..Smile
Frank (an avowed agnostic in spite of my best efforts) and I have shared many a pleasant cyber libation over the years, whilst you and I so far have been imbibing pluto water. Mr. Green
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
najmelliw wrote:
What I, as an agnostic theïst, personally believe, is that faith is actually acceptance without proof. Offering proof in one way or another would then invalidate everyone's faith.
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Well said, indeed. There can be no proof of the existence of a Creator. If such incontrovertible evidence were to be discovered, we would have to call this being something other than 'God.' God has already been defined and the acceptance (or rejection) of the idea of an omnipotent deiety depends, at least in part, on the impossibility of the human mind ever to grasp the parameters of this supposed being. Without faith, there can be no God. With the presence of proof, faith becomes unnecessary.
Those who look for empirical certainty will never see 'proof'. But remember, our legal system allows convictions on the basis of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. In my own case, I consider myself a compulsive skeptic eventually swayed by an abundance of "coincidence"
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:16 pm
@izzythepush,
najmelliw wrote:
You would be shy too, if you found out your visage could kill people on the spot!
izzythepush wrote:
And even though I'm omnipotent I can't do anything about it.

that explains everything.

I'm really fucked up.
Nah!

But you do have a weird shaped head.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:24 pm
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Quote:
You're one sick bubbie, Romeo. I wish you well

I see you're from Hawaii mate, I've heard about your lot-
CAPTAIN COOK- "Greetings Hawaiian islanders, I bring you great gifts and knowledge from across the mighty oceans"
HAWAIIANS- "**** you Jack, we're going to eat you!"

PS- Wiki says he was killed by a chief named Kalaimanokahoʻowaha.
Good scrabble score there..Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Obviously you're not much of a Scrabble player either. The name of a person is a proper noun and would not be admissible as a word in the game.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:36 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Those who look for empirical certainty will never see 'proof'. But remember, our legal system allows convictions on the basis of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. In my own case, I consider myself a compulsive skeptic eventually swayed by an abundance of "coincidence"

Our legal system may allow the admission of circumstantial evidence; however, this argument has been on a theological and philosophical plane, not judicial. We are talking about the kind of evidence that will be acceptable to a scientist, not a judge and a jury.
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No one has yet devised an epistemologically certain argument for God's existence. Jesus several times referred to faith as a treasure worth all one's material possessions. Solomon told us to "keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, 5 in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2: 4,5)

It may sometimes require setting aside some questions until the answers are clear. When several disciples left after hearing things they did not understand, Peter told Jesus "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life" (John 6:68)

I exhausted my list of questions over 40 years ago.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:52 pm
Lustig Andrei claimed:
Quote:
Obviously you're not much of a Scrabble player either. The name of a person is a proper noun and would not be admissible as a word in the game

Try again mate, scrabble geeks use all sorts of rules packages-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263658/Scrabble-upset-purists-proper-noun-rule-change.html

Just look at your Hawaiian cannibal chiefs name- Kalaimanokahoʻowaha, if anybody tried to pronounce that it'd sound like a cat trying to puke up a furball..Smile

And here's another of your chiefs named Kaneena, he looks like a cross between Sammy Davis junior and Groucho Marx-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/kaneena_zpsee7e88ee.jpg~original

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:07 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Only seven tiles, right?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 02:43 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You really are a racist piece of ****.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 04:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

najmelliw wrote:

You would be shy too, if you found out your visage could kill people on the spot!

And even though I'm omnipotent I can't do anything about it.

that explains everything.

I'm really fucked up.

izzythepush wrote:

If not shy, embarrassed. After that burning bush episode he said he'd call back, then there was that party with the cherubs and a couple of lost weeks in the Pegasus system, and by then it was just too late.

I bet you could get really f*cked up partying for a few weeks with cherubs. Because, you know, of all the angel dust Smile

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Good point. I think I misspoke. Of course, God could exist with or without our faith in such a being. My point was that anything which is susceptible to scientific proof can no longer be considered to be 'God.'

God begins where science ends then. For me, that makes sense. I'm not sure if science can ever explain 'everything', because the parameters of that term can't be grasped by humanity either. I suppose there always will be 'room' for a deity in that way, a gray area outside of the scope of science.

@neologist: I doubt the original poster was looking for circumstantial or anecdotal evidence. Anyway, circumstantial and anecdotal evidence would be without purpose for this discussion, since they would revolve around all the arguments theists and atheists have butted heads on for ages now.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 04:30 am
@najmelliw,
The God of the gaps argument seems quite dated now especially as science has explained so much.

Now the question is why can this universe sustain life, when just a few changes would make it impossible. Is it by design or just one of countless universes all different, and the fact that this one can sustain life is just chance.

Don't know? Neither do I, but it's probably best to be nice to others in any event.

The most important bit of the Bible is Love Thy Neighbour As Thyself. The rest is just padding. If we all did that the World would be a better place regardless of belief.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 04:50 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The God of the gaps argument seems quite dated now especially as science has explained so much.

Now the question is why can this universe sustain life, when just a few changes would make it impossible. Is it by design or just one of countless universes all different, and the fact that this one can sustain life is just chance.

Don't know? Neither do I, but it's probably best to be nice to others in any event.

The most important bit of the Bible is Love Thy Neighbour As Thyself. The rest is just padding. If we all did that the World would be a better place regardless of belief.

Allow me an enthusiastic second to your comments, Izzy.

Let's just all get along.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Ta.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Smile I was distilling my comment from what Lustig Andrei posted. And yes, the god is in the gaps theory does make sense to me. But we are talking about a deity, right? He's not constrained by our gaps Smile

I never really considered the life angle from the POV of our universe. I tend to look at the 'micro'cosmos that is our Earth and then wonder a similar thing. But yes.

And as to the rest: Amen.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 10:17 am
Izzy pouted:
Quote:
@Romeo Fabulini,
You really are a racist piece of ****

Haha, my granma had Romany blood so that makes me part-gypsy, I hope you're not a racist neo-nazi who hates gypsies..Wink
PS- my Romany heritage must be where i've inherited my awesome spiritual powers from which give my words the ring of power..Smile
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/one-ringA_zpsfc9725d0.jpg~original
neologist

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 10:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
PS- my Romany heritage might be where i've inherited my awesome spiritual powers from. . . .
Stop blaming your heritage and take responsibility like a man.
Shakespeare wrote:
This is the excellent foppery of the world that when we are sick in fortune—often the surfeit of our own behavior—we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars, as if we were villains by necessity, fools by heavenly compulsion, knaves, thieves, and treachers by spherical predominance, drunkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforced obedience of planetary influence, and all that we are evil in by a divine thrusting-on. An admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the dragon’s tail and my nativity was under Ursa Major, so that it follows I am rough and lecherous. Fut, I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing.
(Edmund's speech from King Lear)
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 10:39 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
PS- my Romany heritage might be where i've inherited my awesome spiritual powers from. . . .
Stop blaming your heritage and take responsibility like a man.
Shakespeare wrote:
This is the excellent foppery of the world that when we are sick in fortune—often the surfeit of our own behavior—we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars, as if we were villains by necessity, fools by heavenly compulsion, knaves, thieves, and treachers by spherical predominance, drunkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforced obedience of planetary influence, and all that we are evil in by a divine thrusting-on. An admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the dragon’s tail and my nativity was under Ursa Major, so that it follows I am rough and lecherous. Fut, I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing.
(Edmund's speech from King Lear)

Bravo, Neo.

A beautiful way of saying what you had to say to Romeo.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 11:46 am
@Neologist and Frank Apisa

Bravo guys, we'll make Christians of you yet..Smile
Edmund's King Lear speech was simply an attack on daffy astrologers so thanks for quoting it as it also ties in nicely with what the Bible says -
"astrologers...the fire will burn them" (Isaiah 47:13/14)
"Don't worship the sun moon and stars" (Deut 4:19)
"He stargazed and used spells and witchcraft, and spoke to demons and wizards,he did much evil in the sight of the Lord" (2 Chron 33:6)

My own power stems directly from my Christian leanings and nothing else, as you well know when you've been on the receiving end of my superhuman wit and intellect..Smile
"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power"- (1 Thess 1:5)

----------------------------------------------------------
Romeo Fabulini-"I just keep getting stronger!"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/zu1sA_zps94c5327a.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 11:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

@Neologist and Frank Apisa

Bravo guys, we'll make Christians of you yet..Smile
Edmund's King Lear speech was simply an attack on daffy astrologers so thanks for quoting it as it also ties in nicely with what the Bible says -
"astrologers...the fire will burn them" (Isaiah 47:13/14)
"Don't worship the sun moon and stars" (Deut 4:19)
"He stargazed and used spells and witchcraft, and spoke to demons and wizards,he did much evil in the sight of the Lord" (2 Chron 33:6)

That self-congratulatory tone is way over-used in your posts, Romeo. That may work where you have several identities and can pat yourself on the back using other names...but here, it simply does not work.

Edmund's speech was a lot more than you are suggesting, but don't fret over it. Work on your self-image instead.
0 Replies