Should CNBC anchor Joe Kernen be fired for Racist comments on Indians

BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, what are "real racist comments"?

First it should be a comment directed at some racial group to be a racist comments not all the citizens of the second largest nation on earth in term of population with many many races and ethnic groups.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

India has more than two thousand ethnic groups,[8] and every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Tibeto-Burman languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language[9] spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir).
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:38 pm
By the time I saw this thread, the hamsters had removed all the links to the video, so I have no idea what was said or who considered it offensive or why. WTF DID HE SAY?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

By the time I saw this thread, the hamsters had removed all the links to the video, so I have no idea what was said or who considered it offensive or why. WTF DID HE SAY?

thats fucked up. What is the reason?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:44 pm
who knows?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
bizarre eh
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

BillRM wrote:
Lord after looking at the video my reaction was big deal as in no big deal.

By the way how is this comment racial as are all Indians of one race or one religion or one anything other then being born and citizens of that nation?

A slight dig at the US citizens or Canadians or any other nation citizens would somehow be a racial insult?
There is nothing rong with insulting any race of your choice.
If the Jews wanted to insult the Germen
or the Poles wanted to insult the Russians,
or the Greeks wanted to insult the Turks
or the Chinese wanted to insult the Japs
there 'd be good reason for that resentment.

EVERYONE has a right to have an opinion
and EVERYONE has a right to express his opinion.
If the cheaters (meaning the liberals) get grossed out,
then: its all the better, in that liberals deserve to be punished.

David

The problem develops, in my opinion, because so many people want to be in denial of their less lovely attributes, and want to pretend they are just a great bunch of guys, so to speak. Some parades were started to show how a group was just a bunch of great folk. Howeever, the newspapers did not always confirm that belief.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:43 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
the code of journalism is to speak truth.

Not in the US it isn't, Hawk.

And, Commonwealth countries pander to whom?
Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:57 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

In my opinion, when the comment reflects that a group is INHERENTLY DIFFERENT. Meaning for example, the belief that if a Jewish child was raised by nice Christian parents, the child might still supposedly grow up to be pushy, cheap, loud, obnoxious, but also smart, and crafty. The point being that certain cultures might just develop folks, within that culture, to have pejorative traits, since the culture might reflect traits that are not considered proper by others. Sort of like some New Yorkers of some socio-economic backgrounds would get kicked out of a Queen's Tea, for being TOO LOUD when talking. A volume slightly above a whisper might be the proper way to talk at the Queen's Tea.

Also notice that the term racist is sometimes applied, inappropriately, to those that do not like certain religions, or ethnic groups, when it is the ways of the religion, or the "culture" of the ethnic group, that is disliked. That is not racist. Just part of the discriminating (not "discrimination") taste Americans are allowed to have as private citizens. I would never give you a red lollipop, even if I had many red lollipops to give away. That is not racist. Just my preference for people that are not so VEHEMENTLY anti-Israel, especially when officially Israel is an ally of the U.S.. As an American citizen, why should I relate well to folks that subscribe to their own foreign policy?
JTT

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:10 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
And, Commonwealth countries pander to whom?

Often the war criminal/terrorist governments of the USA, Foofie. You didn't know that? You're even more insular/ignorant than you appear.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:15 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
especially when officially Israel is an ally of the U.S.

"officially" yes, but Israel would be dumped before you could say "Jack Sprat" if it no longer met the interests of US "national security", which, as you know, Foofie, is a euphemism for raping and pillaging poor countries. But that doesn't bother you, you being such a warm, kind and generous person.
Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:28 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
especially when officially Israel is an ally of the U.S.

"officially" yes, but Israel would be dumped before you could say "Jack Sprat" if it no longer met the interests of US "national security", which, as you know, Foofie, is a euphemism for raping and pillaging poor countries. But that doesn't bother you, you being such a warm, kind and generous person.

My more nuanced interpretation, of Israel being an ally, is that the U.S. wants to have U.S. Jews feel that Israel is safe, so U.S. Jews stay in the U.S.. They are a valuable resource in the U.S.. American WASP's do not want a "brain drain," since there are not enough assimilated Asians and Indians (from India) to replace them in the universities and professional positions. Sad but true; WASP's have a human resouces problem if U.S. Jews left. My opinion only, of course.
JTT

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:40 am
@Foofie,
More likely, a more comforting thought, Foofie, as you aren't one who is big on facing up to reality.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2013 11:12 pm
@JTT,
Isn't the better question, Why shouldn't every American president, general, officer, foot soldier, and just about every American for that matter, be burned at the stake?
Peter Frouman

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 01:26 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm not why the links were removed but you can find the video clip and a transcript at
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/24/cnbcs-kernen-reacts-to-indian-central-banking-d/196052
MontereyJack wrote:

By the time I saw this thread, the hamsters had removed all the links to the video, so I have no idea what was said or who considered it offensive or why.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 06:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Isn't the better question, Why shouldn't every American president, general, officer, foot soldier, and just about every American for that matter, be burned at the stake?

I think you would chastise anyone who wrote such an inane response. And rightfully so, Finn.

A much more reasonable notion would be to hold those guilty of war crimes, terrorism, felonies to account. That's what you would suggest in your lucid moments, Finn, I know you would.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:00 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

First it should be a comment directed at some racial group to be a racist comments not all the citizens of the second largest nation on earth in term of population with many many races and ethnic groups.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

India has more than two thousand ethnic groups,[8] and every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Tibeto-Burman languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language[9] spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir).

The term "racist" is used to refer to bigoted, prejudicial and/or discriminatory people or things such as ideas that can include race but isn't limited to it. Generally, it's applied in regard to minority groups. The comments were directed against a minority group, people of Indian origin, in the US.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:36 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

In my opinion, when the comment reflects that a group is INHERENTLY DIFFERENT. Meaning for example, the belief that if a Jewish child was raised by nice Christian parents, the child might still supposedly grow up to be pushy, cheap, loud, obnoxious, but also smart, and crafty. The point being that certain cultures might just develop folks, within that culture, to have pejorative traits, since the culture might reflect traits that are not considered proper by others. Sort of like some New Yorkers of some socio-economic backgrounds would get kicked out of a Queen's Tea, for being TOO LOUD when talking. A volume slightly above a whisper might be the proper way to talk at the Queen's Tea.

Also notice that the term racist is sometimes applied, inappropriately, to those that do not like certain religions, or ethnic groups, when it is the ways of the religion, or the "culture" of the ethnic group, that is disliked. That is not racist. Just part of the discriminating (not "discrimination") taste Americans are allowed to have as private citizens. I would never give you a red lollipop, even if I had many red lollipops to give away. That is not racist. Just my preference for people that are not so VEHEMENTLY anti-Israel, especially when officially Israel is an ally of the U.S.. As an American citizen, why should I relate well to folks that subscribe to their own foreign policy?

Oh, you have the right to respond to my posts, but I don’t to yours? The chutzpah, I tell you!

There are degrees to “racism”—the way the word tends to be used-- which would include ideas about inherent differences as well as circumstantial differences, like accents and modes of dress.

I think the word is used as a catch-all to refer to bigotry, prejudice, discrimination and other negative behaviors towards minority groups not necessarily distinguished by “race.”

Basing discrimination, i.e. judgment in regard to tastes, on religion and culture can be called racism if it leads to bigotry, prejudice and discrimination, i.e. negative treatment of minorities such as the comments made by the television commentator.

It wouldn’t be racist that you wouldn’t give me a lollypop for the reasons you’ve given, it would be puerile.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The term "racist" is used to refer to bigoted, prejudicial and/or discriminatory people or things such as ideas that can include race but isn't limited to it. Generally, it's applied in regard to minority groups.

So you like Firefly define/refine words to mean whatever you care for them to mean!

Racism now have no fix or real meaning at all just as a mixed race Latin man is somehow redefine to be a white Latino at need.

Good luck in trying to get away with such nonsense.

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:15 pm
@BillRM,
I don't define words. Their usage defines them, and that's the way the word is used.
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Sorry but your misused of terms and words and of course people like you misused of terms and words does not turn that misused into correct usage.

Taking an emotional loaded word and redefining it in order to try to turn the emotional connected to that word to your benefits is a cheap trick and in the end devalue the very terms you are trying to make use of.

Rape for example is a very highly emotional word and concept but using it in connection to invalid consent claims due to regret after the fact between adults cheapen it and reduce it impact.

Racism and racists are similar words and concepts that if you and people like you get their way with incorrect usage will greatly reduce the words impacts and usefulness.
0 Replies