Can you see the logic? Why " to avoid some of the breathless pronouncements" is important?

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 09:11 pm

Context:

SURPRISES FROM THE FIRST READING OF THE GENOME
Entire books have been written about the Human Genome Project (probably too many, in fact). Perhaps I'll write my own someday, hopefully with sufficient hindsight to avoid some of the breathless pronouncements of many of the currently popular depictions. It is not the purpose of this book, however, to
dwell further upon that remarkable experience, but rather to reflect upon the ways that a modern understanding of science can be harmonized with a belief in God.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 338 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:23 pm
@oristarA,
I don't see the problem with the bolded text. I do think he might change sufficient hindsight to sufficient foresight.
oristarA

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:43 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't see the problem with the bolded text. I do think he might change sufficient hindsight to sufficient foresight.

Thanks.
But the reason "to avoid these" is still not understood by me.
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:49 pm
@oristarA,
Well, 'breathless pronouncements' sounds like assigning way too much importance to a relatively minor discovery. So it sounds to me, anyway.
0 Replies