sit in on something

WBYeats

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 08:35 am
In a dictionary:

sit in on something -
to attend a meeting, class, etc. in order to listen to or learn from it rather than to take an active part

eg I was allowed to sit in on an executive meeting.

===========================
At uni/college, sometimes a student, because of a sudden, nameless impulse, would want to go to a lecture by a certain professor/lecturer/teacher, and the student did not register himself in the course. What do Britons/Americans call this act? Can the student say?:

-I am sitting in on this lessen/lecture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 468 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by WBYeats
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 08:49 am
@WBYeats,
No, sitting in on something is when you're either learning how someone does something or you're appraising them in some way. You're just going to the lecture. You would be sitting in on it if you were about to take over his job, or if you were to submit a report to his boss on how well he performed.

Sitting in can be quite hands on, the students may ask the lecturer a question, and if the person sitting in on the lecture knows more about that particular topic than the lecturer does, he may ask the person sitting in to answer it.
0 Replies

JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:25 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
At uni/college, sometimes a student, because of a sudden, nameless impulse, would want to go to a lecture by a certain professor/lecturer/teacher, and the student did not register himself in the course. What do Britons/Americans call this act? Can the student say?:

-I am sitting in on this lesson/lecture.

Yes, you can say that for, it appears, both NaE and BrE, and I suspect AuE and NzE too.

'sit in on sth' means to take part in something that one is not a regular part of.

=====================

verb
sit in intr, adverb

4 foll by on to take part (in) as a visitor or guest ⇒ "we sat in on Professor Johnson's seminar"

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sit-in

=========================
sit in

: to take part in or be present at a session of music or discussion as a visitor —often used with on <invited to sit in on a rehearsal>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sit-in?show=1&t=1380136988

=================
0 Replies