I come here for al-Sisi

WBYeats

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 07:32 pm
A news reporter says:

-In Tahrir Square in Cairo, this man said, I come here for al-Sisi.

1. Judging by this sentence, can this sentence mean the act of coming is not a habit?

2. and the reporter uses the present tense COME instead of CAME; is it because the person has just come, so the present tense is justified on the analogy of SAY/SAYS, which present tense can be used when reporting something was said only a short while ago?

Thank you. WB.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 461 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by WBYeats
JTT

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 08:59 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
A news reporter says:

-In Tahrir Square in Cairo, this man said, I come here for al-Sisi.

1. Judging by this sentence, can this sentence mean the act of coming is not a habit?

Hard to know for sure without more context, WB. Could be that the man is not a native speaker.

Quote:
2. and the reporter uses the present tense COME instead of CAME; is it because the person has just come, so the present tense is justified on the analogy of SAY/SAYS, which present tense can be used when reporting something was said only a short while ago?

My guess is that the reporter is giving a direct quote or at least attempting to pass it off as a direct quote, but again, without more context, it isn't easy to state what the deal is.
WBYeats

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 03:46 am
@JTT,
Thank you, JTT.

According to your answer, now, say, I am in a square and I don't have the habit of coming to this square, which habit might justify the use of the present tense; can I tell people that 'I come here for al-Sisi' instead of CAME?
JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 06:47 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
According to your answer, now, say, I am in a square and I don't have the habit of coming to this square, which habit might justify the use of the present tense; can I tell people that 'I come here for al-Sisi' instead of CAME?

"I come here for al-Sisi" can be used to describe a first occurrence. Using the present tense form can illustrate a degree of importance, a momentous decision, an important first.

If a body comes to support someone/something of great importance, it isn't likely to be a frivolous choice. It is likely an ongoing habit/routine/... .

This is different than the situation you described in the previous post.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 12:09 am
@JTT,
Thank you JTT. Can I use COME in the past tense this way?:

-When I was an undergraduate, I knew many exchange students; they CAME from the US, UK, Canada, Ireland and Australia. They told me...
JTT

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:20 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
Thank you JTT. Can I use COME in the past tense this way?:

-When I was an undergraduate, I knew many exchange students; they CAME from the US, UK, Canada, Ireland and Australia. They told me...

You can use it in this situation for sure, WB,

When I was an undergraduate, I knew many exchange students; they COME from the US, UK, Canada, Ireland and Australia. They told me...

but it isn't past tense. A speaker shift to COME notes that it is still happening.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:22 pm
@JTT,
Thank you, JTT. But...no no no, I meant, could I use CAME in that way...
0 Replies