switch off

WBYeats

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 10:33 pm
Usually there is an on-off switch on a mobile phone.

1. If we keep the switch down for several seconds, usually the phone will give a sound showing that it is going to be turned off, which means if you want to see light on the screen again, you will have to hold down the switch for at least several seconds. When it's turned off, no calls can come in. Is the act called switch on/off?

2. If yes, what do native speakers call the act of holding down the switch for less than a second just to make the screen light up/off, and when the screen is blacked out, calls can still come in?

Thank you. WB.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 471 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by WBYeats
JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:51 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:
Usually there is an on-off switch on a mobile phone.

1. If we keep the switch down for several seconds, usually the phone will give a sound showing that it is going to be turned off, which means if you want to see light on the screen again, you will have to hold down the switch for at least several seconds. When it's turned off, no calls can come in. Is the act called switch on/off?

I'd say that's switch it off/turn it off, WB.

Quote:
2. If yes, what do native speakers call the act of holding down the switch for less than a second just to make the screen light up/off, and when the screen is blacked out, calls can still come in?

'light up' works for me. Also 'return from sleep mode/cancel sleep mode'.
0 Replies