Lawton had gradually been cut out of the loop on legal reviews.

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
@McTag,
Do you want the names of a couple of good books on the English language?

I doubt whether a psychiatrist would be able to help you focus given your age.
McTag

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:09 pm
@JTT,

Oh, oh, oh, more hurtful things.

I see this thread is not the only one where people think you are a little unbalanced.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:40 pm
I asked G, a lawyer pal of mine, what he thought the sentence in the title was about.

He explained that lawyers are sometimes invited to summarize, and provide commentary, on recent legal decisions. Those reviews might be done for a firm or a group of lawyers. Some are published. It is an indication of career advancement to be invited to write reviews. If there is a change in the lawyer's status for some reason, they might be gradually cut out of the loop on legal reviews ... that is, invited to do fewer reviews for their peers to consider.

He thinks this is standard terminology in his field, but wasn't willing to bet breakfast on it.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:01 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Do you want the names of a couple of good psychiatrists?

Quote:
Oh, oh, oh, more hurtful things.

Gee, you're a major hypocrite too, McTag. You can't even remember what you have said post to post.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
He thinks this is standard terminology in his field,

'cut out of the loop' is standard terminology for everyone, [even McTag now] meaning it's a viable choice for anyone, likely in any dialect of English.

Here's a link [hope it works] to a exact phrase Google search, UK region only

"cut out of the loop"

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=&as_epq=%22cut+out+of+the+loop%22&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=lang_en&cr=countryGB&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I find it hard to believe that McTag had never heard it before.

You oughta get out more, McTag.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
'cut out of the loop' is standard terminology for everyone,

that could be

I'd never seen it before this thread. It feels ok not being 'everyone'.
McTag

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 03:44 am
@ehBeth,

I'm pretty sure I had never seen it before this thread either...or if I had, I would have assumed the writer had just misused the standard phrase.

It's easy to understand of course, so not too objectionable on that ground. I think it's a shame that current writers, especially the young, seem constantly striving to make things sound different. Maybe they think it makes their ideas seem fresher, more edgy.
I've just finished a James Lee Burke novel, I enjoyed it a lot and was regretful when it ended, but he's no Patrick Leigh Fermor.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 09:12 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'd never seen it before this thread. It feels ok not being 'everyone'.

Of course it feels okay, Beth. There's a great deal of vocabulary that we've all not been exposed to. But it's silly to run down what is available simply because of one's ignorance.
0 Replies