Woman performs own caesarean to save baby

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:53 am
Quote:
Tuesday, April 6, 2004 Posted: 2:51 PM EDT (1851 GMT)

(Reuters) -- A pregnant woman in Mexico gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a caesarean section on herself with a kitchen knife, doctors said on Tuesday.

It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

The unidentified 40-year-old, who lived in a rural area without electricity, running water or sanitation that was an eight-hour drive from the nearest hospital, performed the operation when she could not deliver the baby naturally.

She had lost a previous baby due to labor complications.

"She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in three attempts...and delivered a male infant that breathed immediately and cried," said Dr R.F. Valle, of the Dr Manuel Velasco Suarez Hospital in San Pablo, Mexico.

Valle recounted the event in a report in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.

Before losing consciousness the woman told one of her children to call a local nurse for help. After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.

"This case represents an unusual and extraordinary decision by a women in labour who, unable to deliver herself spontaneously, and with no medical help or resources, decided to perform a caesarean section upon herself," Valle said.

He added that a mother's instinct to save her child can move a woman to perform extraordinary acts but said it would not have been necessary if adequate medical care had been available.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/04/06/health.caesarean.reut/index.html

Shocked Shocked Holy crap!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 16
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:07 am
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:19 am
Good for mom. What a day brightener. Some people really know how to react in an emergency! Very Happy
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:20 am
Wow! ouch!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
YIKES
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
Oh boy - people who can do that sort of thing amaze me....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:54 am
That story certainly puts my hurdles for the day in perspective. Thanks, Fishin'.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
I've always been amazed by the things people can do when confronted with life/death situtaions. We hear alot about "civil society" and such but in so many cases raw survival instinct kicks in and takes over.

For some reason this particular case seems more amazing to me than the guy that cut his arm off in Colorado last year. Both are amazing stories of survival but, this one takes the cake (so to speak..).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:30 am
It was the first known time someone has done this and both the mother & child survived? That says a lot. Either this woman had some knowledge of how to perform the procedure, or she was DAMN lucky.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
I dunno, I think cuting off your own arm is at least as hard to do as performing a c-section.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:38 am
Shocked

Whoa.

I can see how losing the last baby made her do anything anything anything. And if labor had been going on that long, she probably was already in enough pain that a kitchen knife seemed...

<suddenly getting a visual>

Whoa.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
I cant imagine. Then sewed up with cotton thread like you were darning a sock.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
I can see where a natural instinct in this case would be more shocking but, not really stunning consider the mother/child angle...and yeah, the fact of the first one known for both to survive..jeesh.
Comparing it to the arm cutter...basic survival gone wild...
I think we all just hope we dont have to make any of those types of decisions..ever.

Yeah, Labor, C Section, Home made stiching, and an 8 hour drive to the hospital...she probably brought the rest of the bottle with her..or wished she did...
Absolutely amazing!

Good for both of them BTW...WOW.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:20 pm
I suspect this may have been done at one time or the other, during Biblical times.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
Re: Woman performs own caesarean to save baby
fishin' wrote:
Quote:
Tuesday, April 6, 2004 Posted: 2:51 PM EDT (1851 GMT)

(Reuters) -- A pregnant woman in Mexico gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a caesarean section on herself with a kitchen knife, doctors said on Tuesday.

It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

The unidentified 40-year-old, who lived in a rural area without electricity, running water or sanitation that was an eight-hour drive from the nearest hospital, performed the operation when she could not deliver the baby naturally.

She had lost a previous baby due to labor complications.

"She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in three attempts...and delivered a male infant that breathed immediately and cried," said Dr R.F. Valle, of the Dr Manuel Velasco Suarez Hospital in San Pablo, Mexico.

Valle recounted the event in a report in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.

Quote:
Before losing consciousness the woman told one of her children to call a local nurse for help. After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.

"This case represents an unusual and extraordinary decision by a women in labour who, unable to deliver herself spontaneously, and with no medical help or resources, decided to perform a caesarean section upon herself," Valle said.

He added that a mother's instinct to save her child can move a woman to perform extraordinary acts but said it would not have been necessary if adequate medical care had been available.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/04/06/health.caesarean.reut/index.html

Shocked Shocked Holy crap!

Did the family have a phone to use "to call " the nurse?

Did the village have an EMT crew?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:24 am
Miller--

I get the impression that we're talking backwoods of Mexico: "a rural area without electricity, running water or sanitation". Quite possibly the "nurse" was trained in basic sanitation and simple health care, but would refuse to take the responsibility of operating--that would be for a doctor.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
Was it a Ginsu?
0 Replies