UK BALLOON FINDS ALIEN LIFE?

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:36 am
Am I turning into Obungasnake? Do I feel the mad impulse to search the nooks and crannies of the globe in order to turn up a tinfoil hat story?

Well, no.

Just been on BBC News, and SKY news, an article about a pretty reputable University in Sheffield (UK), well, read the link......

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/balloon-from-sheffield-finds-alien-life-on-earth-1-6065441

All the bods did stress that this needs proper verification, but they seemed to be confident in their findings......

(Probably this will all be shot down in flames this time tomorrow)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,110 • Replies: 21

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 11:45 am
http://i.imgur.com/64z0k3z.png
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Seems like a day for ET type stories on the BBC.

Quote:
The idea that gold came from outer space sounds like science fiction, but it has become well-established - it's pretty much received opinion in the field of earth sciences. How did this bizarre theory take hold, and is it here to stay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22904141
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:44 pm
@izzythepush,
I remember not so long ago, Prof Brian Cox had that series about the universe, and he was explaining that all the precious metals are made at the last moment of a star collapsing, when heat and pressure are right off the scale, and then when it explodes it gets sent out through the universe.

Something like that, anyway.

Farmerman will be able to translate for me.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Here you go......

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 01:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I remember not so long ago, Prof Brian Cox had that series about the universe, and he was explaining that all the precious metals are made at the last moment of a star collapsing, when heat and pressure are right off the scale, and then when it explodes it gets sent out through the universe.

Something like that, anyway.

Farmerman will be able to translate for me.

That's exactly right, all elements heavier than Iron (and therefor including Gold) are formed during during the collapse of stars.

The fusion of elements within a burning star produces heavier and heavier elements as a waste byproduct of the fusion cycle. This happens up through the lighter elements until the star begins to accumulate Iron in its core. Up until Iron the fusion process releases more energy than it consumes (thus perpetuating the cycle), but the fusion of Iron actually takes energy rather than releasing any, so once Iron is produced a core collapse is imminent. It's during the collapse itself (nova) that increased temperatures are reached and the heavier elements can be formed within the maelstrom.

http://www.vikdhillon.staff.shef.ac.uk/teaching/phy213/highmass_agb.gif
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 01:06 pm
The making of gold......

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 01:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,

Some aspects of this article sound fishy.
Quote:
The balloon landed safely and intact near Wakefield. The scientists then discovered that they had captured a diatom fragment and some unusual biological entities from the stratosphere, all of which are too large to have come from Earth.

For one, they claim to have found a diatom fragment. Diatoms are single celled algae which form in the oceans, so if one of those got up there then other things might have also.

The other thing that bothers me is that they say "biological entities" instead of organic compounds or specific organisms. I don't see any need for such ambiguity if they were able to identify things as being "biological entities" rather than organic molecules.

Other things about the report seem less than scientific to me as well.

I guess we'll find out if they ever release more accurate data and results. But in the end, "alien" organisms aren't very interesting if there turns out to be nothing "alien" about them. If they are just earth style DNA based organisms then the real question is going to be "how did they get there", not "where did they come from".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 01:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Also, the Journal of Cosmology does not have a good reputation for being a real Scientific Journal. They tend to accept any article which implies that life did not originate on Earth.

Another article on this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-truth-is-out-there-british-scientists-claim-to-have-found-proof-of-alien-life-8826690.html
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 02:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
So, in order to explain this process, he, his "staff" and a BBC film crew had to go to Rio, to see a prison demolished? Nice gig, if you can get it. I'm assuming that BBC paid the bill for their "work" in Rio.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 02:52 pm
@Setanta,
As we say here.....lovely jubbly!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 03:19 pm
@Setanta,
Brian Cox is one of those people who is above all criticism. National Treasures are the new aristocrats. Like this guy.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 03:12 am
@Lordyaswas,
One of the worst cases i've ever seen was about 20 or 30 years ago. In his novel Chariots of the Gods Erik von Danikan poses a tendentious question which he posed as though it were rhetorical. There are huge carvings on the rocks at Nazca in Peru, and he was trying to suggest that they could only have been laid out from above.

Well, a bunch of jokers got a grant from the National Institutes of Science, and went down to Peru to see if they could construct a hot-air balloon using the materials which were available naturally, using stone age tools. They actually succeeded. They were filmed by a crew from the Public Broadcasting System.

The question arises, how could people in a hot-air balloon communicate with or control people on the ground? Furthermore, with today's technology--helicopters and radios, for example--how could you control a bunch of primitives carving a huge rock plateau? Well, there is an answer--you don't have to. You can use grid transfer . . .

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PPDdhF6mqWo/S9ziv8OT-xI/AAAAAAAAAb8/eGg0TfzN_EM/s1600/rubens%20nina%20drawing%20small.jpg

You take a drawing, you lay out a grid over it, and then you construct a much larger grid, and copy the image from each square of the smaller grid into the larger grid. That, in fact, makes much more sense than loony claims about aliens flying around controlling primitive people on the ground.

It bothers me that alleged scientists are so dense that they would fall for von Daniken's goofy rhetorical trick. What bothers me more, however, is that NIS and PBS are paid for by the tax payer. Nice, expenses-paid vacation in Peru for the NIS grant-writers and the PBS crew.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 05:17 am
I read a good book about Chariots of the Gods back then
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1310250676l/687205.jpg
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 05:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Von Daniken does seem to have been a flash in the pan. However, he made a few bucks, and as long as he stayed ahead of the police on the fraud charges against him in Europe, it was probably not a bad life. This sort of thing, along with UFOs, allegedly unsolved mysteries (such as Amityville) and any number of conspiracy theories won't make the shysters rich, but it will provide an income.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
actually, von Daniken wrote his "Chariots..." while in prison.

I looked it up about his criminal pranks and even he, in 2005 admitted that "Chariots"... was lifted from some of the story line of "The Mountains of MAdness"
rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:47 pm
@rosborne979,
I believe the Journal of Cosmology is also the ones who published stories of the "Red Rain in India" a few years back. Many people excitedly claimed that the red rain was definitive proof of extraterrestrial organisms. Turns out it was some type of red algae if I remember correctly.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:56 pm
@farmerman,
Well, if you can sell it to the rubes, more power to ya.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 01:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I suspect the red rain story was what inspired Bewildered in his career of interplanetary delusion.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 06:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I suspect the red rain story was what inspired Bewildered in his career of interplanetary delusion.

I checked on Bewildered a while back to see what he was up to (google still reveals a trail of insanity leading right to him). His latest rant is "concrete blocks all over Mars" Smile I couldn't even think up stuff that good.