Do beagles grow winter coats? How?

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 02:12 am
I'm asking this because tonight, when I took my beagle out for a walk, I noticed that he shivered here and there because it's 56 degrees outside right now.

So, I was wondering if I should buy him some clothes, like a jacket maybe? Or would this be detrimental to him growing a coat of his own? Would it perhaps trick his mind into thinking it's still spring and that he doesn't need a winter coat? Or do beagles still automatically grow it during winter?

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 02:31 am
@PinkLipstick,
Most dogs shed fur all year round, but with the ones I've had, it seems that they lose more in the approach to summer, but I don't think that there is a major difference in the thickness of their winter fur in most breeds.
Beagles are bred go be hardy outdoor hunting dogs, who can go through muddy ditches, thick hedgerows and up and over gates when necessary.
Their busy time of the year is usually winter, where they run in a pack for mile after mile, over hill and dale.....whatever the weather.

However, if you have a beagle as a house pet, then probably he/she isn't "worked" at all, and therefore shivers because it is basically hanging around outside in cold weather. Any short haired dog would feel the cold, given the same circumstances. He's bred to be a toughie, but needs a fox to chase to get the blood going.....and a pack to snuggle up with in kennels at night.
If you seriously think that he is cold, then it would be probably a good thing to explore the net in order to find a suitable coat. The well known auction site has loads of sellers with such stuff.

One tip though......don't get a pink one, or one with ribbons, just in case he bumps into a pack of his brethren out there in a muddy field one day.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:12 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Winterizing Your Beagle
Quote:
Bundling up Beagle
Does your Beagle need a sweater to keep her toasty warm during the winter? Probably not, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't appreciate a little help staying warm during those cold winter walks. Pet stores and upscale pet clothing catalogs abound with sweaters and coats to protect Beagles and other canine snow-bunnies (how's that for a contradiction in terms?) from the ravages of harsh winter weather.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/winterizing-your-beagle.html
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
don't make me weep (as in what the hell).

I shouldn't be so mean. I'll just say that our poster should call her veterinary office.
0 Replies