Come the fall of... or Come fall of...??

JTT

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:14 am
@McTag,
Quote:
With the Peeves thread, the hint as to what it's about is in the name. It was intended as bit of fun. That said, I doubt I would put anything on there which wasn't true.

A bald faced lie, McTag. You, and the others advanced many a canard as true representations of how English works. You still cling to some ludicrous notions about may/can, likely out of great confusion, illustrated clearly by your recent offerings.

You both advanced and defended things that weren't true on the peeves threads.

Quote:
As far as this present disagreement is concerned ... I expressed a preference, that's all. A choice.

And I agreed with your choice. The issue has arisen because I asked you about your statement that the other was also possible - you said it wasn't then you said it was, then it wasn't, ... . You've gotten yourself so terribly confused you don't seem to know if you are coming or going.

Quote:
You can demand all you like for me to justify a preference, but surely you must suspect by now that your inquisitorial and patronising approach is both inappropriate and illogical.

There was none of that from me until you attempted, as you always do, to squirm out of your confusion pretending that you actually know something about language.
McTag

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:18 pm
@JTT,
I bow to your knowledge about language, but as you see, it doesn't take you very far without some nous and commonsense.
JTT

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:57 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I bow to your knowledge about language, but as you see, it doesn't take you very far without some nous and commonsense.

The issue on this particular thread was your completely inability to focus on what was a very simple language question. You psyched yourself out imagining all manner of paranoid thought instead of simply focusing on that same simple question.

Has running off on tangents taken you far?
McTag

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 02:16 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
The issue on this particular thread was your completely inability to focus on what was a very simple language question. You psyched yourself out imagining all manner of paranoid thought instead of simply focusing on that same simple question.

Arrant nonsense. Anyone can read through the thread and see the truth.

You might do better asking fewer questions and generating more useful input. But I'm not holding my breath.
0 Replies