Background Knowledge about a street of London

kathy79

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 08:29 pm
"I wanted to take her back to my flat behind Cloth Fair, the flat she told me to make my home five minutes into a first viewing the November before."

This is from a novel by an English author. What happens in Cloth Fair in November? I don't understand this part: "make my home five minutes into a first viewing the November before"
Could you paraphrase this part for me? Please, help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by kathy79
fresco
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:57 pm
@kathy79,
...."the flat which they had first viewed together the November before, and which she had advised him to take, after only five minutes viewing it".
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:14 am
Cloth Fair is a residential street in London. It's not an event, or a market place. It used to be the site many centuries ago of a fair selling textiles, like many New England towns have a Market Street, because when they were founded a couple centuries ago, the street ran by a market. Or School Street. Neither of which may have a market or a school on them today, but the original name has stuck, tho it may have no connerction with present reality. As far as I can tell, nothing particular happens on Cloth Fair in Novembver.

From Wikipedia (naturally), "Cloth Fair"

Quote:

Coordinates: 51°31′7.92″N 0°05′58.77″W / 51.5188667°N 0.0996583°W / 51.5188667; -0.0996583

Church of St. Bartholomew-the-Great on Cloth Fair.
Blue plaque marking the entrance to John Betjeman's home on Cloth Fair.Cloth Fair is a street in the City of London where, in medieval times, merchants gathered to buy and sell material during the Bartholomew Fair. Today, it is a short residential street to the east of Smithfield in the north-western part of the City and is located in the ward of Farringdon Within.

The street runs southwest to northeast from Little Britain, the very start of the A1 road, the country's longest named road, parallel to Long Lane to the north and bordered by the Anglican church[1] of St. Bartholomew-the-Great[2] to the south, until it merges with Middle Street some 150 yards later.[3]

The street was originally within the precincts of the Priory of St. Bartholomew's, and until 1910 formed a separate liberty, with gates that were shut at night. Such a small area could not meet the demands of installing street lighting and sewers, and rejoined the City. The area has a rich history,[4] a colourful past[5] and proud literary tradition.[6] It contains within its boundaries the oldest residential dwelling in London,[7] a pair of properties administered by the Landmark Trust,[8] and the former home of English poet John Betjeman,[9] now a restaurant.[10]

The nearest London Underground station is Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines) and the closest mainline railway station is Farringdon.

kathy79

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 08:58 am
@fresco,
Thank your for your explanation. I was totally mistaken. Your answer helps a lot!!!
0 Replies

kathy79

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 09:00 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you very much for your research. I went too far in my imagination. Your answer made me realize that. Thanks again!
0 Replies