outlaws

beebo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
Dreading the Easter holiday at the inlaws. For Christmas my husband (who does not drink) encouraged me to have a few (preferably the entire bottle) glasses of wine before we went. Well, I did and that really just loosened my tongue.
My husbands family are completely different than my family of origin. When these crazy people get mad they pretend they are not mad- give you dirty looks and ignore you. In my family we "air our grievances". Plus everyone lies to everyone else. For example- they gave my husband's sister a huge amount of money- well they let her borrow it but she doesnt have a job and no real prospects or motivation to work. And they act like she is the greatest thing in the world- you would have to meet her to know what we are talking about here. No job, slut, very high opinion of herself, rude, lazy - the list goes on. The other two siblings are hard working family people and his parents are beyond critical of them.
Well with the cabernet talking- I pointed some of these facts out as they came up. It was icy- but I did feel better & so did the other siblings
Well, this is really not good for my hubby and probably should be dealing with this in a better way.
Any suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,077 • Replies: 24
No top replies

doglover

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
I can relate beebo...LOL. I'm dreading this coming Sunday. My in-laws are a bunch of holier-than-thou right wing, teetotaling Fundies. I ALWAYS down at least 3/4 of a bottle of Merlo Yellowtail before leaving the house for dinner. The vino makes it a LOT easier to keep a smile on my face.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
Doglover,

I was just thinking how funny it would be explaining to a 15 year old kid that "yeah I know it sucks to have to go to "blah-blah's" house for dinner...but here, just drink as much of this as you can and you'll find it won't be nearly so bad as last time.

Wink

I think it's a great solution...a little wine can make getting along so much easier.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
By 15 pretty much all of us were drunk and/or stoned before getting together with my extended family. Or we would do that as soon as we got there. Funny, no one had to tell us to do that.

Interestingly enough, my husband is a recovering alcoholic- I really understand how that happened.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
My son is grown and out of the house so I can openly drink the wine before heading off to my afternoon of pure Christian living hell. Mr. Green

When our son was a teenager, I used to get a quart of Vodka and some Cranberry juice. Mix the tasty Elixir in a thermal drinking cup and sip away. Our son never suspected a thing. I figured it's not a good example for a teen to see Mom or Dad using alcohol to deal with difficult situations. I figure, someday when he's married, he'll figure out what it'll take to save his sanity!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:25 pm
dl,

I didn't even know if you had kids - I was just picturing a sitcom-type situation in my head and laughed a bit, so I thought I'd share. Smile
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:34 pm
I am trying to think of a sitcom that would reflect the bizzare situation of my husbands family.

Well, with my family it would be the Soprano's minus all of the killing. Oh, we lived in dumpy Scranton not the ritzy sections in NJ.

His family.........pennsylvania dutch, no sense of humor, obsessed with terrible food, no education, still think that women should "listen" to their husbands, hypocondriacs

I am at a loss here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
Be sure never to divorce. Then you won't have to consider those excruciating visits as an accumulated waste of time. With your marriage intact you sort of go through it together, you are doing it for him.. you can slough it off when you leave.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
beebo wrote:
I am trying to think of a sitcom that would reflect the bizzare situation of my husbands family.

His family.........pennsylvania dutch, no sense of humor, obsessed with terrible food, no education, still think that women should "listen" to their husbands, hypocondriacs

I am at a loss here.

Bake 'em some hash brownies!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:10 am
My inlaws are living in Hungary, and that's something I like!
But they'll be here this monday, don't like this...
...and I have to work! I like!
And on tuesday, me and wifey are off on holidays, fer 2 weeks!! I Like!
And by then, my inlaws are back in Hungary! Oh Joy!

Wish I had the time to tell y'all what they did to piss me off this much, but I don't have the time, gotta go to work...

Okokokok, you convinced me, one little anecdote, ok?
wo years ago, my ILs were visiting my wife's sister, where they always stay in Germany, and my father-in-law asked my SIL "when's your sister going to give up her hobby?"(not hubby, that's a different word in german) At first my SIL didn't understand him, so he clarified "Well, she's making so much more money than he does, so he must be living on her costs! How long will that go on?"

Since that day... I'm the hobby... Other people has cooking as a hobby, my wife has a hobby that can cook.

But there's more, but not for today, ok folks?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
doglover wrote:
I can relate beebo...LOL. I'm dreading this coming Sunday. My in-laws are a bunch of holier-than-thou right wing, teetotaling Fundies. I ALWAYS down at least 3/4 of a bottle of Merlo Yellowtail before leaving the house for dinner. The vino makes it a LOT easier to keep a smile on my face.

They SMILE? I am surprised.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:17 am
Eva wrote:
doglover wrote:

They SMILE? I am surprised.

They beam with joy when they are sharing the 'good news of the Lord'. Rolling Eyes

The vino helps me return the smile and nod my head in agreement.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:55 am
Okay, I have decided on the wine and lots of it. I am stopping after work today to stock up.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 03:58 pm
beebo wrote:
Okay, I have decided on the wine and lots of it. I am stopping after work today to stock up.

You go girl! Seriously, the wine will help. Just be careful not to drink too much. The last thing you need is to loosen your tongue 'too much'. Drink just enough to get a mellow buzz...just enough to sit there and sustain a big, dumb smile Very Happy on your face, no matter how many outrageous things they say.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 04:10 pm
Wine might not be enough. Pick up some duct tape, too. (For your mouth or theirs, whichever you think best.) Here's $5. When you get back, I'll need the rest of the roll. I hafta visit my inlaws soon.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:00 pm
Oh no, she just called to remind me to be there at noon------- these times are moving up it used to start at 2. What the hell are these people trying to drive me nuts?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:35 pm
beebo wrote:
What the hell are these people trying to drive me nuts?

They're related arent they?

My family is far enough away for me to say...oh well you know...cant make it this time...it works well.
Until everyone and their brother thinks I need a place to go listen to their families Rolling Eyes
No really, Ive got somewhere to go
....let me think...
thinking if the weather is nice enough to read the paper at the beach or something...
and not quick enough either...you'd think Id have that down by now...jeesh.

Good Luck, and by all means..sit on the corner a throw one back before you go in, after the hellos are taken care of...all will start feeling well. Dont forget the designated driver Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
Well, looking back, family is not nothing, worth even advancing verbal blows, sometimes, when people involved in it actually talk to each other. Not to sound peppy about it, mostly it is not better. But is is ... not uncommon or not impossible, with talking, some kind of connection.

Part of growing up for all of us, though, is to find out who our independent self is. Takes a while, oh, say eighty years.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
No driver needed- they live 5 houses up the street.

We had a big problem with the "pop in" when we first moved here. I bought a huge German Shepard dog. The dog went through a window after my father in law one day. They never visit unannounced anymore.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:18 pm
must remember..dog=less drop in time
if ever THAT close

WOW.
0 Replies