Out of 'his' league?

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 09:40 am
A couple of months ago I was asked by the new head of IT to help ‘test’ a few systems he was setting up in our office. I work as a designer and our programs are very complex and require a great deal of IT attention. We spent a few weeks testing some new features and improving old ones. I was supposed to help Mike one day test a new feature, but was unable due to an emergency client meeting. I sent him an email on my way out, saying I could help later in the week. While in my meeting I received a response from him and at the bottom read: “how was your meeting”. I was a bit surprised, but took it as a nice gesture and responded. A few one line emails over the next few weeks evolved into daily multi-paragraph emails, long talks and finally lunch. All that of which I greatly enjoy.
I will be the first to admit, that Mike is not the typical guy I am attracted too. He is far from the typical tall, dark, and handsome. But he’s amazingly intelligent, funny and he can always make me smile. He has never ‘hit on me’ and is always very professional. I find it cute that he is so nervous around me and he rambles when he’s nervous and I’m pretty sure he didn’t actually eat anything when we went to lunch! He is also the poster of “IT guy”. The other designers in my department think he’s a ‘dork’ and seldom communicate with him, as they hate his long winded tech explanations as to how he solved the latest computer hiccup. He’s off beat, he’s a total IT geek (as he calls himself this), he likes Lord of the Rings and other movies I have never heard of. He plays music and writes sci-fi fiction stories. All things, that in the past, would have made me turn my snobby nose and not think twice about. Oddly I’m attracted to his intelligence and I’m intrigued by his talents. Our talks have evolved and last week, we finally both ‘admitted’ we have started to have feelings for each other. I have had a share of scumbag men, who are more interested in how much they lifted at the gym and how fast their motorcycles are than how my day was. And those relationships usually get to a point that they only respond if I send them half naked pictures or there is ‘sexting’ involved. It is nice to FINALLY talk to someone more interested in me than my age or how I look.
Last Friday night, we talked and I told him I was really falling for him and I was enjoying getting to know him. After our conversation, he sent me an email with the subject: “why me???”. In the email, he basically told me, that he just wanted to know, why him. “of all the men you could have, and in my estimation you could have any man you want, I'm simply curious… why me?”. I was a little taken back by this email. I KNOW he is not overly confident in himself and you can tell he’s never been the popular guy in the ‘in’ group. He seems to have this belief that I'm ‘perfect’; young (as he is a few years older than me), beautiful, intelligent, and on and on. All in which is very flattering, but how can I make this ‘geek IT guy’ see that the ‘hot girl’ of his dreams is really into him and how can I encourage him to be confident enough to go for it?

Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:20 am
@JillianRae86,
I'm going to add only this: congrats to you both as it sounds like you both are coming together in a nice way. I see this as good and a mutual maturing. Socially, he seems to have made the technical community his home, whereas you've followed a different path. There's no reason why you can't work things out - together.

I'll warn you (gently) that you can't GIVE someone confidence...but you may help encourage him. See him and allow him the time and space to grow. He does need to see you as a person who IS into him...for himself...and not just his brains. At some point soon, he'll feel it inside after a time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:23 am
@JillianRae86,
How's about a response that's something like this?

Mike, I have grown to appreciate you as we've gotten to know each other. We're friends first, and we have fun and I'm finding that we have a lot in common. I've been around the block a bit, and I've met some truly awful people in my travels. You're not like that. And I am finding that that is immensely attractive and, yes, it's kinda sexy.

Or you could dress up as Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi. Your choice. Wink

Go and be happy.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:30 am
@JillianRae86,
Well, he probably is very much perplexed as to why you are interested in him. His lack of self confidence is showing, but then again, that's OK.

What may become tiresome is if he constantly is in a state of feeling insecure about your relationship - and your intentions.

Take some time and see how he is out of his "domain." Get him out with friends, outside the office and away from computers - later, even with your family.

Be sure you have more in common than the office talk.

You want a well-rounded man. Give him a chance to show you what all he is. In the meantime, tread slowly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:34 am
@jespah,
Woo-hoo ! ! !

I vote for dressing up as Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 12:31 pm
@JillianRae86,
send him a text inviting him to dinner so you can answer his question

then do what Jespah suggests Wink
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:01 pm
@JillianRae86,
Why not just show him this thread! I doubt if you could say it any better than you have here. You are obviously very fond of him - your words ring true - so let him see what's you've written. Good luck - sounds as if you have a great future ahead of you both!
0 Replies