In love with a married man

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:43 am
When I was a teenager I moved into a homeless shelter with my mother and sister. There was a boy who lived there named donovan, the moment I saw him I felt as though I couldn't breathe. Long story short I feel completely in love. My first true love. My first everything. But I didn't know how to show my love. I had abandonment issues with my drug addict of a father and so much more so I was mean to him and didn't show him what he really ment to me. His mother was sometimes abusive to him so when the opportunity presented its self for him to finally leave the shelter and love with his father I was happy for home. Of coarse I did the dramatic teenage drama and broke his heart into a Million pieces so he'd leave I thought I was holding him back and he'd be better off. I didn't expect it to hurt so much when I woke up the next morning though, it was like everything I had ever feared was tormenting me, mocking me everythig I knew would happen "he'd leave" "he'd break my heart" I made it all happen myself. But of coarse trying to be a tough teenager I smoked a bunch of weed and got stupid dated the entire school and pretender I forgot about donovan. While in the back of my mind he was always there a few months later my mother sister and I unknowingly joined a very controlling cult eventually withing the year I lost all cell phone and Internet accessibility. I stayed there for a good 3-4 years before the pastor was finally arrested for child abuse and I was able o escape with my mother an sister and see my family again. What started to scare me the most while I was there was how often I cryed myself to sleep remebering donovan and how much I hurt him. Mid way through being in the cult I got access to an iPod touch and made a fake Facebook so the cult "church" wouldn't find out I wrisked getting my ass so completely beaten but I didn't care I just wanted to find him by the time I gathered the courage to message him i saw he was finally dating again. I went back on his timeline to see he posted something to me every single day for months but since I didn't have an account I couldn't see him crying out to me. And as silly as it sounds he waited almost 2 yets before dating her maybe it was because of me I'm not sure. I couldn't take how much I hurt him. I found his girlfriend was pregnant that day and wrote some sad pitiful status and he emailed me asking if I was alright it was the first time we'd talked in years I roughly explained to him and he gave me his number to text him but it's hard to do in a cult sneaking messages like that. Eventually a kid from school got my iPod and messaged something stupid and he never messaged me back. When I left the church a few years later he was married and had a baby. I left and moved Dow by my family but starting over was hard with my sister and mother we were so poor. Long sorry short 2 years ago I made a pof account and met someone amazing I really love him honestly but recently I've been thinking about donovan more and more I find myself just trying my hardest to make it through the day so I can go sleep and close y eyes and just think about him for a few moments. It's all I can seem to think of lately in te back of my head. I truly am in love with my boyfriend I even see myself marrying him and I truly want to spend the rest of my life with him but there's always that "what if" in my mind when my boyfriends gone and I'm by myself I jus imagine what it could have been like. What if I hadn't made him go and I told him how much he ment. Would my life be different?
My boyfriend now Michael is the most amazing man I've ever know in my life he pays half of my moms rent so we can have a roof over our heads until we're on our feet again all he ever does is treat me like his princess and love me unconditionally he makes me feel complete and alive again. But it's hard when there's always someone to compare him to. An Michael always passes all comparisons. I love him so much but I can't forget my first love. I'm afraid If I told Michael he'd think our realationship was all a lie but I am honestly in love with him! I want to marry him so badly! It's what we talk about an dream about is a house together withing the year and just to be able to wake up together every morning . Is it just me? Am I the only one who can't let go of my first love?! I can't just email donovan and disrupt his family he has a wife and a 2 year old now how can I be the stupid childish one who seems like a stalker! After 4-5 years now. What do I do ? I ness help I want to be with Michael for the rest of my life but there will always be " what if donovan still loves me like I love him?" "What if he misses me too" ? Please god someone tell me what to do please !

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:49 am
I managed three lines before my eyes gave up.

Please learn punctuation and come back and have another go.
Perryn12

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
It's my crappy iPhone keyboard it's always butchering up my words sorry
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:53 am
@Perryn12,
All I really saw was that you have a current love who is great but you can't help thinking of your first crush.

This is normal. It's called nostalgia. We often think overly kindly about what happened before. We tend to forget the bad parts.

Life today is not a bed of roses. And it wasn't then, either. But life today is, well, it's today. Embrace it and leave yesterday in the past where it belongs.

Go and be happy now.
Perryn12

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:55 am
@jespah,
I guess that's true. It was rough at times.
Thanks for the advice ill take it to heart (:
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:02 am
@Perryn12,
You need to grow up! Sorry to sound harsh, but you really do want to have your cake and eat it. You have a man who loves you, and whom you profess to love in return, but you are pining after someone you knew several years ago - someone who now has a wife and child. Bad idea!

It sounds as if you are clinging onto a teenage dream- your first love. Always nice to daydream about first loves, but the sensible thing to do is to move on - Donovan has. Michael is the here and now - how can you say you love him BUT you are wondering about Donovan and whether to try and break up his marriage!

You had a hard time growing up - things weren't easy for you - but you've survived all the bad times and appear to be in a good relationship. Do think hard about whether or not you really do love Michael, or whether he is just useful to you whilst he pays part of your mother's rent. If you don't really love him, move on - forget him, and forget Donovan. Make new friends, new relationships, be happy, but don't spend all your time dwelling on what might have been.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:33 am
@vonny,
I agree with Vonny. Plus, you really have not been ALONE and taken time to develop yoursellf as a confident woman. There is always a boy or a man "rescuing' you. And you can't forget that first boy who was there for you - and also abandoned (left) you.

You don't say what you are doing for education or career development. You don't say what you do every day. You have not exhibited emotional growth. Your boyfriend is doing fatherly things for you, taking care of you like your neglectful parents did not.

Please take some time and grow emotionally, intellectually and financially so you can stand on your own two feet, without a man/boy and even without mom.

When you do that, then you will look back and be able to see that you really were stuck in the past in many different ways.

Good luck!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 11:30 am
This story makes my head hurt and is terribly annoying. Life can be very difficult at times, we all suffer loss when loved ones die, marriages fail, we get sick or infirm. Why in the world would you want to actively seek an unstable situation. Look at this another way, how would you feel if your boyfriend told you he worshipped the ground you walk on, HOWEVER, he is haunted by a distant memory from his adolescence regarding a magical person he met in a shelter and has juvenile fantasies about how life could possibly be with her?

I don't know why the idea of a first love haunts people as some compelling lifelong regret. All I can tell you from personal experience is it is pointless to look back. If a potential husband told me he loves me but is heartsick over an unresolved relationship, that's my signal he is emotionally immature and not someone I should expect to be a devoted companion. You're pining over an idealized picture of what normal is supposed to be.

Now I'm irritated with myself for taking the time to read your lovelorn story and responding to it.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:18 am
@glitterbag,
Smile
well said
glitterbag

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:34 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks Punky, I'm not really sure the writer isn't exercising a fantasy fiction to see what kind of reaction she would get from members. Utter crap, I'm still po'd at me for even reading this thing.
0 Replies