What do I do about naked photos of my boyfriend's deceased wife?

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
Basically I've just discovered my boyfriend has a naked photo of his deceased wife in a stack of photos in his bedside table. What bothers me is that for a year this photo was in the bottom of a box at the bottom of a wardrobe, now all of a sudden the pack it is in has moved. I don't know if the reason is because of the naked photo or not, but I'm unhappy about it as he's recently experience erectile dysfunction and I'm wondering if he's using it to you know what! I don't know whether to ask him about it or not, I went in the cupboard innocently but now I feel like it looks like I'm snooping on him. I don't know if it matters or not, I'm really confused.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,297 • Replies: 11

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 11:23 am
@wednesdayschild,
It's a little unclear as to how you saw the image. I am thinking - box in the wardrobe, then the box was moved to his bedside table, but unless you opened up the box, or he did so and the photos fell, then how, exactly, did you see this?

See, 'cause you are looking like you're snooping.

But let's operate under the assumption that you are completely, 100% innocent here and somehow the packet was opened and, oops, the image fell out and you knew it was at the bottom of the stack, etc.

So how about trying this tack instead?

Honey, I was thinking, you've got that stack of photos by your bed, have you ever thought about framing some of them, or of putting them into albums?

Of course he's not going to frame the image or put it into an album, but it will clue him in that the stuff is there and he should probably do something about it. And then you'll see what he does with the knowledge that you, perhaps, have a suspicion of something.

Or you could take a less passive-aggressive route and ask him.

Honey, I came across the picture of your late wife in the stack by your bed. I'm sorry that I looked, but I did. We can both agree that she was a beautiful woman. But I hope you can understand that this is of some concern to me. Are you unhappy in our relationship? Is there something you need to tell me?

Will there be anger on his part? Possibly. But it's more honest.
0 Replies

wednesdayschild

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 11:31 am
Just to clarify a year or so ago we went through his box of photos which were in folders in the box, I saw this photo and was ok with it, the folder went back in the box with all the other folders and the box went in the wardrobe. I went to put some money that had fallen out of his trousers into his bedside cabinet where he keeps it folded and saw this photograph folder on its own in the cabinet, its distinctive from the other folders so I knew at once it was the one with the naked picture in. It wasn't in the cabinet a few weeks ago when I last put his book away which was on the floor. So I think I did innocently find the folder. I think what bothers me most is that he's been looking at it in a sexual way, and if so, what that means about our relationship.
contrex

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm
@wednesdayschild,
wednesdayschild wrote:
I think what bothers me most is that he's been looking at it in a sexual way, and if so, what that means about our relationship.

You go through his things and you're worried he finds a dead woman more sexy than you?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:04 pm
This is a confusing one:

you think he is looking at naked pictures of a woman.

Oh yeah, it's of his dead wife.

What is it that you are most upset about?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 05:34 pm
@wednesdayschild,
wednesdayschild wrote:

I think what bothers me most is that he's been looking at it in a sexual way, and if so, what that means about our relationship.

It means he's human as he misses and still loves his deceased wife. It's only natural.

Would you rather your boyfriend was a sociopath who can turn off and on his emotions with someone he loved for years? Wow! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
So I think I did innocently find the folder. [/quote
Keep saying that to yourself. Use it as a mantra. But don't be disappointed when no one believes you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I agree, Tsar. People love people they loved before, at least some of the time, and that is mostly healthy. Or not, as the case may be.

We don't know anything - his wife could have been his first experience with actual love in all its forms. Or his first experience with wonderful sex. Her photo is probably a comfort. And yes, maybe a turn on. Or maybe more complicated.

Maybe that was fifteen years ago and he needs to move on, but still, it may be a kind of consolation. There's a famous piece by Lizst called Consolation (probably not about the exact same thing).
A year ago - if he lost her only a year ago, get over yourself, as Tsar says.

I get you may have just been alert to all this, the folder color! but it is his bedroom side table.
Get the **** out of it. You do not own him or his every thought or movement.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 01:00 pm
I think that widows/widowers who bring other sex partners into their bedrooms ought to remove all reminders of the deceased spouse - pictures, etc.

It sounds like he had these pictures in a cabinet or at least put away.

She should back away from this entire incident.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 02:22 pm
@wednesdayschild,
You've illogically linked his temporary (?) erectile dysfunction without any solid reason to his keepsake photo of his ex wife in the nude. I've no idea why. Are you having self-confidence issues? Does he suffer from this often?

If I were you, I'd be focused on why you're snooping than worrying about something that should be of no concern of yours. I'd pretend I never saw it...or put it aside.

He should be allowed his privacy. There's a whole different story if she were alive.

Lastly, if he is masturbating (it happens even with healthy, happy couples and there should be no shame) plus he isn't responsive to you, that is your issue...not the photo.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 03:41 pm
I don't think it matters why he has that photo there. She's dead, you're not. Why even get into it?

I think you did innocently find it, but am unsure why it bothers you. What if he was looking at Playboy, instead? Would that make a difference?

Many men experience ED - it's not a big deal. I don't think it has anything to do with what he feels for you. It's a male menopause symptom. Maybe google that and see what you find.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 06:28 pm
Was she alive when the picture was taken. The answer could be important.
Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 07:01 pm
@roger,
Oh MY! (in my best Geo Takei voice)
0 Replies