Direct Object

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 09:13 pm
Hi everyone!
Does the word confirm in this statement needs a direct object?

Please retest on your end and confirm.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 654 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jaytheseer
dalehileman

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 11:41 am
@jaytheseer,
No Jay I'd say not. However there are always subtle technicalities and so I'll bet we hear from others more into that sort of thing

Bit I'd guess the object to be implied by context. There, does that sound technical enough
0 Replies

PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 12:03 pm
This is an imperative sentence and it orders someone to do something. There is an implied subject.

The direct object of the test and confirm was not given in your sentence.

(You) / retest ... and ... confirm

(on your end) is an adverb telling where to test and confirm

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 12:22 pm
@jaytheseer,
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Does the word confirm in this statement needs a direct object?

As Dale noted the object is almost certainly understood by those involved in the situation.

I suspect that your question was asking whether it was/is needed in a grammatical sense. No, it isn't.
0 Replies

jaytheseer

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 09:29 pm
Thank you for taking time to address my concern. In order to see the whole picture, let me share with you that my profession requires me to edit emails which technical support representatives are sending to our customers.

The context of my query is that the agent would like to inform the customer that he/she has resolved the customer's issue. So he/she is requesting the customer to retest and confirm. I just feel that we need to be specific in regard to what we want the customer to confirm. e.g. Please retest on your end and confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Do you think it is a MUST (both in grammatical and logical sense) to add this statement?

Regards,
Jay
JTT

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 10:01 pm
@jaytheseer,
Quote:
Thank you for taking time to address my concern. In order to see the whole picture, let me share with you that my profession requires me to edit emails which technical support representatives are sending to our customers.

Ah, now I see said the blind man. The five most important things to help us determine language/grammatical structure are context, context, context, context and context.

Quote:
I just feel that we need to be specific in regard to what we want the customer to confirm. e.g. Please retest on your end and confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Do you think it is a MUST (both in grammatical and logical sense) to add this statement?

Again, grammatically no, it most assuredly is not needed. But who wants a potential mixup and an angry and dissatisfied customer. In the event of a misunderstanding, a customer isn't going to be placated by your protestations that your company was fully grammatical.

In the interests of clarity, and satisfied customers, I would say that you should add as much as you feel is necessary to make the process as easy and as understandable as it can possibly be for the customer.

Good luck, Jay.
0 Replies