Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 03:48 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
In the last week, Ive seen the right side o the aisle tripping over themselves to make up new conditions for undermining the country. SAD really.

What did they do? It is impossible for the rest of us to make up our minds whether they have undermined the country without our knowing how they did it. Have you no evidence to support your assertion?

"America doesn't do pin-pricks", Obarmy said, looking menacing.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:17 am
@spendius,
Damn right we don't do pin pricks. Somebody is bound to be hurt and offended.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:39 am
@roger,
Make sure that the "somebody" is weak.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:40 am
@spendius,
Yeah. Why couldn't all this be happening in Granada or something like that?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:28 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Why couldn't all this be happening in Granada ...
Spain has already enough trouble with Catalonia's push for independence and the 'Gibraltar affair'. They certainly wouldn't like new 'disturbances' in Andalusia. Wink
revelette

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:08 am
@spendius,
Perhaps farmerman is referring to articles like the one below. Before Obama, if Putin had written an article like this, the right would have went ballistic on him. Most of the independents and the left are against the war simply because they see no need to intervene in yet another middle east country. They are war weary. However, some on the right who absolutely take every chance to bring Obama down are using this another vehicle to do so. Although some see as it as a Christian/Islamic war thing too.

White House puts Syria onus on Putin after Russian President's New York Times op-ed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I suspect Roger was referring to the island of Grenada, in the Lesser Antilles, which we invaded when Ronnie Ray-gun was the Prez.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:14 am
@Setanta,
We all suspected that. Including Walt I imagine.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:38 am
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/files/rtx12s3q_1.jpg

Exclusive: U.N. Report Will Point to Assad Regime in Massive Chemical Attack

Quote:
U.N. inspectors have collected a "wealth" of evidence on the use of nerve agents that points to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad using chemical weapons against his own people, according to a senior Western official.

The inspection team, which is expected on Monday to present U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon with a highly anticipated report on a suspected Aug. 21 nerve agent attack in the suburbs of Damascus, will not directly accuse the Syrian regime of gassing its own people, according to three U.N.-based diplomats familiar with the investigation. But it will provide a strong circumstantial case -- based on an examination of spent rocket casings, ammunition, and laboratory tests of soil, blood, and urine samples -- that points strongly in the direction of Syrian government culpability.

"I know they have gotten very rich samples -- biomedical and environmental -- and they have interviewed victims, doctors and nurses," said the Western official. "It seems they are very happy with the wealth of evidence they got." The official, who declined to speak on the record because of the secrecy surrounding the U.N. investigation, could not identify the specific agents detected by the inspector team, but said, "You can conclude from the type of evidence the [identity of the] author."

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 08:28 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Under the terms of the UN mandate inspectors are only authorised to conclude whether chemical weapons have been used in Syria, without apportioning blame. ... The UN inspection team is expected to present their findings to Ban Ki-Moon, the UN Secratary General, on Monday.
revelette

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am aware, nevertheless, three diplomats said the evidence points toward the Syrian regime.

Quote:
The inspection team, which is expected on Monday to present U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon with a highly anticipated report on a suspected Aug. 21 nerve agent attack in the suburbs of Damascus, will not directly accuse the Syrian regime of gassing its own people, according to three U.N.-based diplomats familiar with the investigation. But it will provide a strong circumstantial case -- based on an examination of spent rocket casings, ammunition, and laboratory tests of soil, blood, and urine samples -- that points strongly in the direction of Syrian government culpability.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:31 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I am aware, nevertheless, three diplomats said the evidence points toward the Syrian regime.
You do know that the laboratories doing the examinations for the experts of the OPCW (who are doing this job for the UN)), are situated in the Netherlands and Germany, don't you?
revelette

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't get your point. I am merely stating what the article says and it says that the evidence so far points to the Syrian government as the "author".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 09:37 am
@revelette,
What I mean is that there isn't a result until now - the control tests even haven't started.

And as far as I know, there isn't a "sender"/"author" noted on those weapons. Wink
Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I thought you'd pick up the wrong end of the stick as usual Fluff.

Such compliments! By the way, based on the vote in your Parliament, you do not have a dog in this hunt. But, I do believe your nose can still sniff its way into this U.S. and French concern.
revelette

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They must have started something somewhere or the article is in error.

Quote:
"I know they have gotten very rich samples -- biomedical and environmental -- and they have interviewed victims, doctors and nurses," said the Western official. "It seems they are very happy with the wealth of evidence they got." The official, who declined to speak on the record because of the secrecy surrounding the U.N. investigation, could not identify the specific agents detected by the inspector team, but said, "You can conclude from the type of evidence the [identity of the] author."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:40 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
By the way, based on the vote in your Parliament, you do not have a dog in this hunt.

We will see about that. We have been the first into action.

And the decision of Parliament is what began the serious equivocations. We were told before that that "a few hours" was all we had to wait for strikes to begin. Which seems a long time ago now.

From what we can gather the US Congress doesn't have a dog in the hunt either.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:50 am
@Setanta,
I better learn to spell, huh? No telling what we might invade.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:53 am
@Foofie,
We were sick of being railroaded into ****.

What you don't seem to grasp, is that if someone believes they're fighting the last battle, a moment all creation has been leading up to, they're not likely to be interested in peace talks.

You don't have to believe something to understand the motivation of someone who does.
Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We were sick of being railroaded into ****.

What you don't seem to grasp, is that if someone believes they're fighting the last battle, a moment all creation has been leading up to, they're not likely to be interested in peace talks.

You don't have to believe something to understand the motivation of someone who does.

Such metaphorical phraseology. Just say what you are getting at. Don't make me take a test in your high-falutin' metaphors. Whether you are a guest or the host here, try to be more hospitable. You are living in the past glory of the Empire, in my opinion, since what you don't "grasp" is that Britain must pick and choose what she gets involved in these days, since the old glory, and power, are things of the past. Only the U.S. can imply threats by itself. Britain is just a side-kick today, like Tonto in the Lone Ranger, in my opinion.