Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

revelette

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:27 pm
@JPB,
What earthly good is that in making sure Assad hands over all his chemical weapons? That is like saying it is against the law to rob a bank, but if you turn it in, we won't prosecute you, if you don't turn it in we still won't prosecute you.
JPB

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:31 pm
@revelette,
The Russians hastily called a meeting of the Security Council for 4:00pm this afternoon. That meeting has now been postponed.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:38 pm
there is no international force that can be expected to pursue the chemical weapons only, any force would use this mission as a Trojan Horse to get close enough to assads forces to damage them, the international community such that it is has no credibility on such matters. The only possible way this could work is that Assad would allow 20-30 (15 russian 15 usa/eu?) people to come in and watch as he himself destroys the stocks.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
What in person? You're talking nonsense, the UN could do it. Assad will do what Russia says, and Russia doesn't want chemical weapons falling into the hands of Al Qaida.

You just pull one dumb notion after another out of your arse.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:49 pm
@JPB,
I have been this watching most of the day. It is unclear how it will all play out. I thought that the Russians were on board but now I'm not sure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:50 pm
KHOU 11 News
BREAKING: Syria's foreign minister says President Bashar Assad's regime will declare its chemical weapons arsenal and sign the chemical weapons convention.
revelette

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, that is pretty good news.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:58 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

What earthly good is that in making sure Assad hands over all his chemical weapons? That is like saying it is against the law to rob a bank, but if you turn it in, we won't prosecute you, if you don't turn it in we still won't prosecute you.

If this can be made to work...it will be a very good thing.

A strike...no matter how necessary or justified...is not going to help anyone; not the US, not Russia, certainly not Syria, not the rebels...no one!

In the meantime, this could be a political move that moves humanity along in ways I would have thought impossible just a short while ago.

I applaud the Russians for advocating the move; for the flexibility of the US to consider it; and the wisdom of Assad to realize he had to stop digging.

I just hope it works.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:58 pm
@JPB,
It seems the real need now is for a credible diplomacy, which can close the gab of mistrust.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 02:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I applaud the Russians for advocating the move; for the flexibility of the US to consider it; and the wisdom of Assad to realize he had to stop digging..

If you weren't such a sad nonentity, that quotation could make a front page.

As it is I'm sure Sarah Palin has said something moronic.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 02:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
All the gab is untrustworthy Walt.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:23 pm
@revelette,
No different than when murderers and rapists who serve prison time get out and commit another crime, and that's all within this country!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I applaud the Russians for advocating the move; for the flexibility of the US to consider it; and the wisdom of Assad to realize he had to stop digging..

If you weren't such a sad nonentity, that quotation could make a front page.

As it is I'm sure Sarah Palin has said something moronic.

Thanks. And I am sure Sarah Palin has, indeed, said something moronic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:34 pm
Swirling off topic, as is my way, has anyone read what Mrs. Assad is up to these days? She was, for a while, quite featured in celebrity/fashion news and seems to have disappeared.

She's from Acton, in England, syrian heritage - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Bashar_and_Asma_al-Assad.jpg/220px-Bashar_and_Asma_al-Assad.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashar_al-Assad
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 05:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's odd that you consider everybody who doesn't fulfill your fantasies as "digging". It's just you MYOEP again. It has no meaning.

Obarmy has been digging ever since the "red line" fiasco.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:26 pm
I just watched Obama's speech. He is still pushing for a military strike on Syria.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:36 pm
@mysteryman,
I don't think so. If a "negotiated settlement" is possible and the Russians can broker it, Obama would look more like a hero by averting any bombing, BUT, Assad would only capitulate to terms of a settlement if there were a sword overhanging the scene.

That's the way I read it, and Obamas speech clearly stated that he would suspend a Congressional vote as the terminal diplomacy moves
forward.

Puti-Poot also looks really statesmanlike with this end
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The NYT published a large scale map showing where Assad had some chems stored. Most of these storge areas were in REBEL hnds. How does that affect Assads pledge to hnd over the WMDs if he cant get access to em ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:42 pm
@farmerman,
Obama said all the right things; a) limited in every aspect, b) no ground troops, and c) punish anyone who uses chemical weapons. Without some consequence, others are likely to use chemical weapons.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
That information conflicts with the intel that Obama has on Assad's use of chemical weapons. Obama better not get his information wrong, because he'll end up as a pariah of the world.