"Lied about cheating" not to me but to his friends

Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:24 am
My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly 6 years and have lived together for almost 3 years. Last weekend we went to a party at a friends house. He didn't tell me that he planned on doing cocaine there but he did. I don't really care that much except that it scares me and I hate it when he doesn't tell me about stuff like that. There was also a girl there who was working with him during a one month interview/internship (she was trying to impress him and his coworkers). All of his iMessage texts show up on the iPad that we share. The next night I opened the iPad and found that he texted an old friend bragging about how he cheated on me with a "smoking hot" girl. I confronted him and he said he was just trying to impress this guy.

You will think I'm crazy for this but I actually believe him. First of all, I was with him for the whole night. He said all that happened is that he signaled for her to pass a pipe but she came over to blow smoke in his mouth. He used to be a big partier but ever since he turned 30 he occasionally tries to prove that he is still capable of partying hard. This only happens once or twice a year and its normally just with drinking and staying up till 6 am so I don't care. Plus I'm 6.5 years younger than him and I still like to stay out late.

He truly feels awful about this. I made him text the friend he bragged to saying he was joking about it to try to sound hardcore. The other thing is that hooking up with girls is something that really impresses this friend so I think my boyfriend was trying to make him jealous of our life here. This friend got the job that my bf really wanted and my bf was so upset after that he was on the verge of needing psych intervention, which is extremely out of character. I think he really wanted to show the friend that he should be jealous of us for being in Miami and partying a lot.

I have pretty much already decided to forgive him but it has been really difficult for me because the text was so jarring to read. It was also so degrading to have something like that out there. And of course in the back of my mind I still wonder if he did actually cheat. The friend he told is part f a community that we are also a part of and people love crazy gossip so now I'm worried that everyone will know and think less of me.

I guess I don't really have any specific questions but does anyone have any general advice? Am I stupid for believing him? He keeps saying that it would be so different if anything did actually happen and how he just wishes he had never sent that text. He also seems like he is hurting almost as much as I am. He didn't at first until he realized that I didn't trust him anymore.

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:37 am
Didn't you post this same issue some months back?
Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:39 am
@PUNKEY,
No I just joined an hour ago. What's the thread for the other discussion? Sorry I'm completely new to the whole discussion forum thing.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:47 am
OK, I'll assume this is a new post.

Look, what do you expect from cocaine using "friends"?
This kind of delusion and lying is part of the whole scene. His actions were immature and provocative. But that's what drug users do and say.

I'd watch if this behavior (using drugs) gets more frequent. In fact, why is he using at all?

PS - So how do you think that other girl feels, too? He degraded and used her, also.
Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:53 am
@PUNKEY,
Look, I smoke too. I don't do hard drugs but I honestly don't have that big of a problem with light usage. Obviously not all the time, but this is the first time he has done it since we started dating. And yes, I'm sure the other girl wouldn't appreciate it. He told someone who will most likely also be interviewing her.

I guess I'm being selfish but I'm really focusing more on our relationship right now.

In really wondering more about how I should approach the potential cheating
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:57 am
What makes you think he will actually cheat? Has he done so in the past?

Drugs make people say and do crazy things. Either put this in that category or drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out.

Drugs also cause paranoia, which may be your issue.
BillRM

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 08:59 am
@Adm703,
At best he had shown great disrespect for you by bragging about cheating on you, whether he did or did not cheat on you, to his friends.

I can not see my doing any such thing as bragging concerning cheating on my wife and if I did and my wife found out about it I would be in a world of trouble even if she does not think that I had cheated on her.
Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:03 am
@PUNKEY,
No he had never done anything. We always considered ourselves lucky because we love hanging out together and neither of us feel the need to have completely guys or girls nights since we enjoy the same things.

Weed causes paranoia in some people, but not me. I wouldn't smoke if it did.
0 Replies

Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:07 am
@BillRM,
That's exactly why I'm so upset. I can't believe he would do this to me. He knows how much I hate being embarrassed. I don't think he would have texted that to anyone that we actually hang out with (this was someone he hasn't seen or talked to in a year). I do really think he was trying to sound hardcore. I guess it's hard to understand if you don't know him but he loves to tell crazy stories. For example, 6 years ago he was drunk one night an decided to do a triathlon the next week without training. He did it and had been doing them ever since. Other than this it is one of the reasons I love him
Adm703

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:12 am
@Adm703,
You also really have to understand how upset he was when this friend got this job. He couldn't eat or sleep, both of us were upset all the time, and I was worried that he wouldn't even be able to perform at the job he got. This is a 7 year contract job and the only way I convinced it would be ok was that we could leave after a year if he was still unhappy
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:19 am
@Adm703,
He STILL hasn't gotten over losing this job to this guy - so he texts a degrading, reputation ruining, sexual lie about another woman (employee) to this co-worker?

Your boyfriend may have opened himself up to a lawsuit from this woman.
- and he needs to grow up.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:43 am
@Adm703,
Forget about what he lied about - for a moment (that could come back to bite him bigtime without your help).

Gotta think about why he lies to anyone.

You're both adults. You need to think about why you're with someone who lies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:45 am
@Adm703,
Adm703 wrote:

You also really have to understand how upset he was when this friend got this job.

you have to think about this more than we do - it's problematic if work is so important to him that it caused problems for him in the past and is still effecting his behaviour now.
0 Replies