Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:30 am
I am needing to know if my ex boyfriend and the father of my son schizophrenic. When we were dating, he felt as though people were watching him and that his family was in on it. He would question me obsessively about whether or not I loved him and if I was cheating on him. He has extreme highs and lows and seems to be unable to handle small situations. Yesterday when he came to pick up our son he was struggling to form complete sentences, and wasn't making any sense. I would tell him that he wasn't making sense and he would shake his head and say I know I am sorry, but he would stop making sense seconds later again. He was staring at my current boyfriend in a very weird way, not in a confrontational way, just staring. At one point he was watching my current boyfriend and his friend conversing and would start talking as if they were talking to him and then would shake his head back and forth and mumble to himself. The weirdest part was that their backs were to him and he was far enough away I don't think he could even understand what they were saying. When I asked if he was ok since he was talking to himself he laughed and said yeah I see dead people. I looked at him confused and he laughed awkwardly and walked away. He sleeps all of the time, has struggled to keep a job, is very lazy and always seems to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. It is almost comparable to a child because he doesn't seem to understand what is appropriate to say in social situations. I am beginning to worry about the safety of my son.

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:39 am
@sarahdexter,
If you are worried, go to court - whichever court you went to in order to create the agreement you have with him regarding custody and support.

Didn't go to court? Then do so now, and get all of that stuff in writing, backed by the legal system. And make a condition of shared custody being that the ex gets a physical and a drug test, 'cause it sounds like he may be smoking his $$ i if he isn't schizophrenic. Either way, it will take a doctor to diagnose or refute an idea that the man is ill.

If you think your son is in danger, you need to be an advocate for him and play some hardball.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 11:45 am
Call whomever is in charge of child custody hearings and describe what you have written here. Insist on an evaluation of the case and of him.

Something is definitely wrong and your son is not safe with someone who acts like that.
0 Replies

scarlet01

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:45 pm
@sarahdexter,
From what you say here, it doesn't feel safe for your son to be with him, and definitely not alone. He is your ex so he is not really your concern now, except if you wish to help him on humanitarian grounds. But the main concern for you is your son with an unstable man such as this. Take a decision on that and approach the court for sole custody. If you say he is sleeping all of the time, how can he take care of a child.
0 Replies

thisismechanging

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:07 am
@sarahdexter,
I recommend insisting upon a legal evaluation of his state, which shouldn't be a problem if you have shared custody. Drug use could also be related to how he behaves, so make sure to insist on testing that as well.

I come from a family where there has been schizophrenia present, and my current boyfriend's mother has schizophrenia too. From what you have told me, his symptoms could math the messy period before the "acute" psychosis stage of schizophrenia.
However, there are other mental disorders besides schizophrenia, and the behavior could be related to something entirely else as well. Without a proper psychological evaluation it's impossible to make any diagnosis, and I fully support searching professional help.

Even if he is schizophrenic, it doesn't mean that he is automatically a danger to your son as there are plenty of peaceful schizophrenics out there. The acute stage of the disorder might make him very unpredictable though, and will definitely cause your son to be scared of him. If he is schizophrenic, getting him on proper meds is essential, so no matter if he is dangerous or not, getting him to a doctor is important.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:54 am
@sarahdexter,
Sounds more like some sort of a serious drug problem.

Schizophrenia means hearing voices which aren't really there and amounts to a throwback to an ancient condition involving a different way of using the human brain and mind.
0 Replies