" a desire to help others -the discipline of medical genetics"

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 01:38 am
Does the "desire (to help others)" here refer to "the discipline of medical genetics"?

Context:

A dozen years later I found myself deeply engaged in finding answers to questions 1 and 3. After a long and tortuous path through chemistry, physics, and medicine, I was finally encountering that inspiring field of human endeavor I had been longing to find!aoe that could combine my love of science and mathematics with a desire to help others -the discipline of medical genetics. At the same time, I had reached the conclusion that faith in God was much more compelling than the atheism I had previously embraced, and I was beginning for the first time in my life to perceive some of the eternal truths of the Bible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 420 • Replies: 2

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:37 am

One of the hyphens did not cut-and-paste correctly. The resulting glitch damaged the neighboring word as well.

Quote:
A dozen years later I found myself deeply engaged in finding answers to questions 1 and 3. After a long and tortuous path through chemistry, physics, and medicine, I was finally encountering that inspiring field of human endeavor I had been longing to find -- one that could combine my love of science and mathematics with a desire to help others -- the discipline of medical genetics. At the same time, I had reached the conclusion that faith in God was much more compelling than the atheism I had previously embraced, and I was beginning for the first time in my life to perceive some of the eternal truths of the Bible.

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22was+finally+encountering+that+inspiring+field+of+human+endeavor+I+had+been+longing+to+find+one+that+could+combine%22

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22encountering%20that%20inspiring%20field%20of%20human%20endeavor%20I%20had%20been%20longing%20to%20find%20one%20that%20could%20combine%22

Sometimes the fancy versions of a text character will do that.

In this case it was the extra-long single dash: —
It would have copied OK if the author had used: --

I've also heard of it happening with the fancy version of quotes: “ ”
While there is no problem with the plain version of quotes: " "

If you see a jumble of characters like "find!aoe" in a sentence, you should probably assume something didn't copy correctly, probably because of a fancy version of a dash or a quote.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 06:19 am
that inspiring field of human endeavor I had been longing to find = discipline of medical genetics.
0 Replies