Does "zap the wonder nerve" mean "stimulate the vagal nerve"?

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 07:02 am

Context:

Head hurts? Zap the wonder nerve in your neck
16 August 2013 by Linda Geddes

"IT WAS like red-hot pokers needling one side of my face," says Catherine, recalling the cluster headaches she experienced for six years. "I just wanted it to stop." But it wouldn't – none of the drugs she tried had any effect.

Thinking she had nothing to lose, last year she enrolled in a pilot study to test a handheld device that applies a bolt of electricity to the neck, stimulating the vagus nerve – the superhighway that connects the brain to many of the body's organs, including the heart.

The results of the trial were presented last month at the International Headache Congress in Boston, and while the trial is small, the findings are positive. Of the 21 volunteers, 18 reported a reduction in the severity and frequency of their headaches, rating them, on average, 50 per cent less painful after using the device daily and whenever they felt a headache coming on.

This isn't the first time vagal nerve stimulation has been used as a treatment – but it is one of the first that hasn't required surgery. Some people with epilepsy have had a small generator that sends regular electrical signals to the vagus nerve implanted into their chest. Implanted devices have also been approved to treat depression. What's more, there is increasing evidence that such stimulation could treat many more disorders from headaches to stroke and possibly Alzheimer's disease (see "The many uses of the wonder nerve").

The latest study suggests it is possible to stimulate the nerve through the skin, rather than resorting to surgery. "What we've done is figured out a way to stimulate the vagus nerve with a very similar signal, but non-invasively through the neck," says Bruce Simon, vice-president of research at New Jersey-based ElectroCore, makers of the handheld device. "It's a simpler, less invasive way to stimulate the nerve."

More:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929303.200-head-hurts-zap-the-wonder-nerve-in-your-neck.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 631 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 07:15 am
@oristarA,
The "wonder nerve" does very much seem to be the vagal nerve, given the title and subject matter, and "zap" is an informal term for electrical stimulation.
oristarA

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 07:33 am
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex.

Would anyone here like to explain why it is called wonder nerve.
contrex

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 08:13 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Thank you Contrex.

Would anyone here like to explain why it is called wonder nerve.

Because zapping it does many interesting and surprising things. "Wonder" is often used in popular journalism that way, especially in a medical context - a wonder [thing] has special qualities. Wonder drugs, wonder plants, wonder treatments for example.

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:17 pm
@contrex,
It allows you to wonder.

haha see what I did there?
contrex

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:35 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It allows you to wonder.

haha see what I did there?

No, what did you do there? A wonder thing doesn't allow you to wonder; it makes you wonder (marvel) at it.
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:25 pm
@contrex,

I wonder if you are right about that? There's a whiff of JTT in the air, methinks.
contrex

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 12:44 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I wonder if you are right about that? There's a whiff of JTT in the air, methinks.

I'm not sure why you're arguing the toss about this; still, I'm happy to discuss, as long as you don't go comparing me with JTT
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:23 pm
@contrex,

Well fair enough.

In your reply to my (jocular) reply, you seemed to be correcting my use of the verb.
"Wonder" can be used in a variety of ways, and take a variety of meanings. One of these was necessary for my small joke to work. But you stamped on it. I was crushed.
Sad
contrex

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:42 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
One of these was necessary for my small joke to work. But you stamped on it. I was crushed. Sad

I didn't mean to that - I apologise.

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:08 am
@contrex,
That's a discussion? You also implied I was wrong.
0 Replies