Fighting with Family

Arcenik

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 10:53 am
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just recently got married in December. Out Dauter is 2 months old and I have having issues with my parents. My mother has called my wife names and has been only supporting of me and our dauter. What she does not seem to understant is that I do not longer live with them and need to have the space and time to raise my own family. At the current moment they are not allowed to visit their granddauter or come over to the house. This has caused my wife and I to have arguements over the subject. I am stuck between two rocks. On one side I want to have a loving relationship with my wife ont he other side my parents are my parents and I would like to see them. What should I do? Any advice?

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:57 am
@Arcenik,
You need to put your foot down with your parents.

You need to let them know that supporting your daughter means that your wife comes along with the package. They do not have to love your wife, but they must respect her and stop with the childish name-calling. Tell them that things will not change, and they will not see their granddaughter until they can be civil to her mother.

Now - recognize - not everyone gets along. This is not a suggestion for everyone to kiss and make up. They probably won't. But you need to set ground rules and standards for minimal behavior with your parents.

On your wife's side of things, she needs to, possibly, be more tolerant and try to let some of this roll off her back. She does not need to take abuse, but if things are not perfect, she may need to let some of those things go for the sake of peace and to allow your daughter to know her grandparents at all.

Furthermore, it will probably be best for everyone involved if the family met on neutral ground from now on, or at least until things improve pretty dramatically. That is, a restaurant, a public park, etc. In public, people are inclined to behave better. And they are not defending their own turf or uncomfortable on someone else's.
0 Replies

Arcenik

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:00 pm
Thanks for the advice. I had a conversation with my wife first and I think I will go with that since my family is the one at fault here.
vikorr

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:34 pm
@Arcenik,
Hi, before you go saying they are 'at fault', remember that there are a number of things that you need to consider when you address them :

- how they talk to your wife (not 'what' they say, but the tone of voice they use, the attitude they come in with, etc)
- what they say (eg. swearing, calling names)
- and the motivation for what they say and how they say it (eb. The motivation may be out of concern for you...or it may just be pure dislike of her...or it may be some other reason - eg. she may takes digs at them behind your back)

You can address all 3 issues separately or together. In the end, the conversation is about the hope for respect - in both directions, yes?
0 Replies