Can a sociopath and an empathic person find grounds to stay married?

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:25 pm
As the title reads " Can a sociopath and an empathic person find grounds to stay married? Can they actually make it work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,424 • Replies: 10

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
A "sociopath" (psychopath) is a severe condition. Are you sure you are not referring to the feasible of a marriage between two people who are different in their capacity for empathy but neither is a sociopath?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think you'd better look up the definition of "sociopath", rl. Serial killers are sociopaths'; merely antisocial people are not (necessarily) so.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:32 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
A "sociopath" (psychopath) is a severe condition. Are you sure you are not referring to the feasible of a marriage between two people who are different in their capacity for empathy but neither is a sociopath?

I have studied this condition for a couple of years or all of my life if you include my interaction with them that I was not aware of.

Quote:
Are you sure you are not referring to the feasible of a marriage between two people who are different in their capacity for empathy but neither is a sociopath?

I am including all kinds of people. Lets view it for a moment as if at one end of the spectrum you have someone who has no sight at all "A Blind person" "sociopath" and in-between we have people who are not quite sever ranging from a very bad condition of nearsightedness "A milder version of a person who has Psychopathy than a full blown sociopath,
to a person who is farsighted same thing but different to someone degree and then we have someone who is colorblind still all of theses people have problems with sight or in this case the sense of empathy.

Do you think that empathy is black and white or could it be similar to all of our other senses?

Why couldn't a person stay married to a sociopath? I know that it would not be ideal but if both persons acknowledged what was in front of them could they adjust? What is the difference from a person who has sight and one who does not "and or" being married to someone who is a sociopath and another who is not?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
I would think that would be the perfect relationship. The two complement each other. One leads, the other follows. One gives, the other receives.

I can't think of a better match.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
One gives, the other receives.

I can't think of a better match.

Are you already taken? Drunk
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
As a matter of fact, I am not taken. Do you know any empathic females you could introduce me to?
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
The basic answer is no, the normal person will be destroyed. Best book on the topic is Robert Hare's "Without Conscience".

http://www.gobookee.net/robert-hare-without-conscience/

Being a psychopath appears to be a throwback to an ancient condition of some sort and the ancient adaptation does not work in our present world.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I am not taken. Do you know any empathic females you could introduce me to?

If I did I might turn sociopathic and leave my wife for her. Drunk
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Reasoning logic, it seems that you are outing yourself as a "sociopath" Judging by the generosity you show in this general forum you've misdiagnosed yourself.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:00 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Reasoning logic, it seems that you are outing yourself as a "sociopath" Judging by the generosity you show in this general forum you've misdiagnosed yourself.

If I am sociopathic to some degree I would like to think that it is closer to the very naive person who has empathy for those who commit horrific crimes hoping that they too may be able to live a life full of love and peace. Smile
0 Replies