of the manifestations of the profoundest reason?

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 11:54 pm

Does "of the manifestations of the profoundest reason" mean "a knowledge of the manifestations of the profoundest reason"?

Context:

It was the experience of mystery--even if mixed with fear--that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 604 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:46 am
@oristarA,

You study the most awkward texts, don't you? Smile Wink

Not really, but you're on the right track.

manifestations: examples

profoundest reason: the keenest intelligence/ deepest understanding

Your dictionary will help you more with this. (I should have used mine before I started!)
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 08:50 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

You called Einstein's Nobel prize acceptance speech as most awkward? Cool
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 09:18 am
@oristarA,

Given by a German, translated into English, speaking to Norwegians....

only slightly problematical.
Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:36 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Not really, but you're on the right track.

manifestations: examples

profoundest reason: the keenest intelligence/ deepest understanding

Your dictionary will help you more with this. (I should have used mine before I started!)

Well, sounds reasonable.

Would you like to edit the following into good English, McTag?
Because I've failed in trying to improve them.

Quote:
My political ideal is that of democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized. It is an irony of fate that I myself have been the recipient of excessive admiration and respect from my fellows through no fault, and no merit, of my own. The cause of this may well be the desire, unattainable for many, to understand the one or two ideas to which I have with my feeble powers attained through ceaseless struggle.

I am quite aware that it is necessary for the success of any complex undertaking that one man should do the thinking and directing and in general bear the responsibility. But the led must not be compelled, they must be able to choose their leader.

An autocratic system of coercion, in my opinion, soon degenerates. For force always attracts men of low morality, and I believe it to be an invariable rule that tyrants of genius are succeeded by scoundrels. For this reason I have always been passionately opposed to systems such as we see in Italy and Russia to-day.
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:19 pm
@oristarA,

I'll have a shot at it. There are few mistakes in the actual grammar, so my suggestions are largely a matter of style:

My political ideal is that of democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized. It is ironic that I myself have apparently been the recipient of excessive admiration and respect from my fellows through no particular merit of my own. The cause of this may well be the desire, lacking in many, to understand the one or two ideas to which I have with my limited abilities attained only through constant effort.

I am quite aware that it is necessary for the success of any complex undertaking that one man should assume the role of leader and in general bear ultimate responsibility. But the led must not be compelled; they must be able to choose their leader.

An autocratic, coersive system of government , in my opinion, soon degenerates. Force always attracts men of low morality, and I believe it to be an invariable rule that tyrants of genius are succeeded by scoundrels. For this reason I have always been passionately opposed to systems such as we see in Italy and Russia to-day.
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:23 pm
@McTag,
Maybe "maxims" or "principles" instead of "ideas" would be nearer to what you want to say.
It is all rather subjective.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:28 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
coersive system of government

One should coerce them to be cohesive, or at least coherent..

But one is powerless against typos..
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:41 pm
@timur,
Is that supposed to be helpful? What point are you making?
timur

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 02:45 pm
@McTag,
Joking about a typo:

Quote:
Co`erĀ“cive
a. 1. Serving or intended to coerce; having power to constrain.
Coercive power can only influence us to outward practice.
McTag

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:37 pm
@timur,

To be honest, that was no typo, it was my mistake!
0 Replies