Pain in legs when standing too long

ihaz

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 10:36 pm
Hello, I'm a female of 22 years old. Since I was a child, I started to have pain in my legs whenever I stood too long on them (say for an hour or longer). Often times it also happens whenever I am very tired.
This pain can be either on just my lower leg, or in both my lower and upper leg. The only way to lessen the pain is to sit, but that still doesn't completely remove the pain. I found out that the only cure for me whenever I feel such pain, is to sleep and when I wake I up, I don't have a problem anymore.
Also, I noticed recently, that whenever I wake up tired at night after having slept for just two or three hours, my legs feel very light. It's as if I can hardly stand on them for a few minutes. It usually takes about between fifteen minutes to half an hour before my legs get back to normal.
Sometimes, when it's at its worst (when I have stood too long or tired myself out), I can hardly walk anymore. Every step on the ground, makes me feel this intense pain that I can't describe.
For years I kept silent about it, because I thought everyone experiences the same problem. It now really starts to bother me, especially whenever I go to college and get tired when going back home or want to have fun in some place, I can't keep walking for too long. I would have to sit every now and then, to avoid having that pain. People think I exaggerate when I say I suffer from this problem.
Is this normal? Do you anyone have any idea of what this problem might be and what I'm suffering from?

neologist

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:28 pm
@ihaz,
Have you seen a doctor?
ihaz

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:34 am
@neologist,
No I never went to a doctor, because all this while, I thought it was normal to have these symptoms, especially when I was tired. I kept telling myself that all I needed to do was to rest and not stand for too long.
Now, I feel like it's somehow getting worse, as for example yesterday, I was sitting almost all day and I never got tired, yet I started to feel this pain again in my lower legs (although it wasn't intense like some days). It wasn't until I woke up from sleep that this pain disappeared.
PUNKEY

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:29 pm
@ihaz,
You MUST see a doctor. You could have a pinched nerve in your back.

Are you overweight? do you exercise? When is the last time you had your feet examined or new shoes?
ossobuco

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:37 pm
@PUNKEY,
Agreeing with Punkey.
0 Replies

ihaz

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:35 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks for your reply! I'm definitely not overweight, I'm actually skinny, but I don't exercise. I never had my feet examined. To be honest, for some reason, I like to avoid the doctors as much as I can..I think in this case, I can't do that anymore, so I'm planning to go see one soon.
I do occasionally change my shoes, so I don't think the problem lies there.
billie-jean

Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:55 am
@ihaz,
Thats good .. First consult doctor and act according to his/her instructions.. Hope you will get well soon...
0 Replies

heartofglass

Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:41 pm
@ihaz,
This sounds like it may be peripheral neuropathy, which is a symptom of something else. I was diagnosed with it but can't afford the MRI to tell me what's causing it (I've had several pinched nerves that have been getting worse for the last 6 years, severe sciatica, and the symptoms are of multiple herniated discs, but I don't have insurance). I thought everybody was in excruciating pain all the time, seriously. Until I started having trouble walking ALL THE TIME, and it was obvious there was something seriously wrong. See a doctor before it's too late, don't be afraid to get a diagnosis like I was! I just kept telling myself it would go away, even though it had been years and was clearly degenerating. Nobody took me seriously even though they saw me struggling, and I stopped being able to do anything with friends if it involved standing for more than a few minutes. If you DON'T have insurance, take care of this NOW, because until you're 26, you're legally covered by your parents' insurance if they have it (thanks to obamacare.) I'm in my 30s and self-employed, so no such luck. Seriously, make an appointment, don't wait another day.
0 Replies

sharmasunidhi016

Tue 3 Sep, 2013 03:06 am
I was facing the same problem 6 months ago but now i am fine. When i consult a doctor he gave me the reason of weakness and lack of calcuim. he prescribe me medicines and now i feel very active and now never faced such problems yet. I also started doing exercise to keep my body active and flexible.
0 Replies

randy dillard

Mon 5 May, 2014 09:07 am
after walking a long distance i become very stiff in my legs can not keep walking
0 Replies

BruceGarcia

Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:48 am
I've had a leg pain, especially when standing in a queue at the store or sitting at my chair. For this, I wore knee-high support hose that try to ease discomfort supported with creating fluid in the legs and took pain relief pills prescribes by my doctor. Now, I am free from this pain.
0 Replies

BARBARA Smith

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:13 am
@ihaz,
you must consult your doctor..
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:58 pm
@ihaz,
Human animal isn't designed (heh) to stand for extended periods. Though if this is since childhood my thought would be more along the lines of some abnoramlity or circulatory issue.

I'd strongly suggest seeing a doctor and asking them to test for circulatory problems of possibly a blood clot. If there's pain and it moves from lower to upper and such, that suggests a clot and it moving around. When it reaches your heart, if that's what it is, you'll fall over quite dead.
chai2

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:46 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I'd suggest you start looking at the ******* date stamp captain. You're supposedly so smart, but can't figure that out?

This is from 2 years ago.

What is it with you and looking up ancient threads to post on, to the original posters, as if they've been waiting since 2009 to get an answer.

AND another thing. I've seen someone say something to you, and you respond, "I wasn't addressing you" as if no one is allowed to read a post if you click "reply" to a particular person.

Acting like you have some common sense will go a long way with not having people you're a dunce or troll....that, and not talking about masturbating over your mother.

0 Replies

Mohan79

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 11:05 pm
@ihaz,
People are facing these kind of problem.because of muscles aren't getting enough blood. Resting may help. If arteries become severely narrowed or blocked, pain may persist, even when you rest. Also, wounds may not heal well. If not treated, this disease can cause tissue to die. People at high risk for PAD include people with diabetes.. Sad
0 Replies

drugspillsmart

Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:00 am
@ihaz,
If are facing from long time then definitely you have to go and consult your local doctor
0 Replies

AliceBROWN

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 11:17 am
@ihaz,
Long time pain is not good for health
0 Replies