Pope Francis Revolution Is Underway, Not Everyone Is Pleased

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 02:25 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

A religion is a bit like a horticulture application. Human activity being the fruit and vegetables. If good produce is required the right things need to be done.

Obviously somebody can gain a superficial popularity by teaching that there is no need to manure the patch and double dig the **** in every autumn adding bone meal and soot and maybe lime if the pH is a bit out of whack. May, indeed, even get a following.

The competitors in the giant marrow contests do not concern themselves with the sacrifices they need to make to get into the final.

The expert advisers are not trying to spoil anybody's fun. They are concerned with high class produce.

The great advantage that those who dissent from the Church's teaching on sexual activity is that their way of doing things has not got to the germination stage yet. All things considered it might be seen still at the stage of the seeds in a brightly coloured packet on a garden-centre shelf. No downsides are yet in sight.

What happens to the seeds is the only subject worth discussing. As things stand a large number of professional tempters are offering the easy way and doing very well out of it. And given the advantage I mentioned they can't go wrong in a world in which sacrifice itself is seen as idiotic.

So try growing good produce on ground that has not been tended by expert methods.

I know the early settlers could just move on to the next virgin land and could afford to use the easy way but when they reached the Pacific coast that was the end of that.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. At other times, though, it is a substitute for a functioning penis.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. At other times, though, it is a substitute for a functioning penis.

See a demonstration of the eagerness to grasp at the temptation of the easy way out.

Every social group from the family up to society has the capacity to be "in form" or otherwise. And all of them are sure to be out of form if they simply hang loose and do whatever it is the urges tempt them to do. Such as to leave out the double digging.

It makes no difference if media and the legal profession egg them on to take the easy way out. They end up out of form. Which only very gradually becomes apparent. So gradually that by the time it has become apparent to a significant number of the members of the social group it is too late to do anything about it. Except dissolve it of course. Or endure.

The argument is essentially whether or not the Church's inhibition of certain behaviour is conducive to putting societies in form or whether the relaxation of those inhibitions, Gardening Made Easy manuals so to say, will produce better results.

The alternative, over any scientifically credible period of time, is libertinage. And self-evidently so.

But not to worry. Things can't be that bad when a Republican candidate is forced to suspend campaigning because it was asserted that he had pushed a lady's head near his groin. I bet when the Cardinals heard that they grinned sheepishly.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

See a demonstration of the eagerness to grasp at the temptation of the easy way out.

Every social group from the family up to society has the capacity to be "in form" or otherwise. And all of them are sure to be out of form if they simply hang loose and do whatever it is the urges tempt them to do. Such as to leave out the double digging.

It makes no difference if media and the legal profession egg them on to take the easy way out. They end up out of form. Which only very gradually becomes apparent. So gradually that by the time it has become apparent to a significant number of the members of the social group it is too late to do anything about it. Except dissolve it of course. Or endure.

The argument is essentially whether or not the Church's inhibition of certain behaviour is conducive to putting societies in form or whether the relaxation of those inhibitions, Gardening Made Easy manuals so to say, will produce better results.

The alternative, over any scientifically credible period of time, is libertinage. And self-evidently so.

But not to worry. Things can't be that bad when a Republican candidate is forced to suspend campaigning because it was asserted that he had pushed a lady's head near his groin. I bet when the Cardinals heard that they grinned sheepishly.

Well...apparently in your case, Spendius...the cigar is something other than a cigar.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You really shouldn't embarrass yourself in this dreadful manner old boy.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Don't tell me you can't defend libertinage.

What sort of cigar is that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You really shouldn't embarrass yourself in this dreadful manner old boy.

Don't worry you head about me embarrassing myself, Spendius. Worry about you...and the cigar, of course.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I see that His Pontifness is driving a beat up donated car. Wonder what make it is? I hope its not a Lambo
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I see that His Pontifness is driving a beat up donated car. Wonder what make it is? I hope its not a Lambo
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
People promoting libertinage who daren't defend it are extremely embarrassing.

It's like having a nappy full of **** and an innocent facial expression accompanied by some gurgling.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:42 pm
@spendius,
Is that how you get your nurse to attend to your needs?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:49 pm
@farmerman,
I read about that today on the CNN news crawl. Someone ... let's say it was a US or Polish bishop (why not) donated a 1984 Renault to the Pope. That made news today? You can't make this stuff up, y'know?!
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:58 pm
@Ragman,
RENAULT?? Omigod. Hes gonna need a full time staff to keep the damn thing running. He should stick with the Pope mobile.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
Owning a Renault would test Supreme Being's patience. They made owning a Fiat look good.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:42 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Owning a Renault would test Supreme Being's patience. They made owning a Fiat look good.

A 20 year old Renault with 190,000 miles on it:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69776000/jpg/_69776290_019252068-1.jpg
http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/pope-feature1.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 10:45 am
Now, the Pope is saying that the Catholic Church should de-emphasize homosexuality and abortion ( does Ireland know about this? ) and stop muddying-up the waters of doctorine.

Funny thing though, Pope still wants to put Catholic women in their places and keep them there. No women Catholic priests will be tolerated.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 10:55 am
@Miller,
Foofie/Miller never misses an opportunity to cast slurs at the Irish and Ireland--do you, Dr. KaK?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 11:22 am
One nice thing about a Renault is that it's pretty much guaranteed to keep the Pope humble, reflecting on the fallibility of all things mortal, particularly mechanical things, expecially when the engine drops out. Couldn't someone give him a Nissan, good Buddhist car?

Gotta say, he does seem like the first pope with any sort of potential since John XXIII, maybe the Church will finally realize the XVIth Century is over.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
I thought John Paul I had a lot of potential, but he just didn't last very long.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
I hate to be the cynic, but i doubt that he can accomplish real change in the church in the face of resistance from the Curia and the College of Cardinals. I suspect the latter body is regretting their choice.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 01:56 pm
Probably a good thing that most of the pillars of business and industry aren't Catholic. Today he's going after the rich and powerful.

Quote:
EXTRACT OF POPE'S HOMILY
(Source: Vatican Radio)
Money sickens our minds, poisons our thoughts, even poisons our faith, leading us down the path of jealousy, quarrels, suspicion and conflict. It drives to idle words and pointless discussions. It also corrupts the mind of some people that see religion as a source of profit. 'I am Catholic, I go to Mass, everyone thinks well of me... But underneath I have my businesses. I worship money'. And here we have the word we usually find in newspapers: 'Men of corrupted minds'. Money corrupts us! There's no way out.”

“We can never serve God and money at the same time. It is not possible: either one or the other. This is not Communism. It is the true Gospel! They are the Lord's words. While money begins by offering a sense of well being. Then you feel important and vanity comes. We read in the Psalm. This vanity is useless, but still you think you are important. And after vanity comes pride. Those are the three steps: wealth, vanity and pride.”

“But, Father, I read the Ten Commandments and they say nothing about the evils of money. Against which Commandment do you sin when you do something for money? Against the first one! You worship a false idol. And this is the reason: because money becomes an idol and you worship it. And that's why Jesus tells us that you cannot serve money and the living God: either one or the other. The early Fathers of the Church, in the 3rd Century, around the year 200 or 300, put it in a very blunt way, calling money 'the dung of the devil'. An so it is. Because turns us into idolatrous, fills our thoughts with pride and leads us away from our faith.”