Officer, Arrest That Pope!

Eorl

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:15 pm
Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

Dawkins is distancing himself a little from this already, but I say, why not arrest the bastard? The cover-up is as evil as evil gets.

Eorl

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:59 pm
Just discovered the "should the pope resign" thread.

Oh well.
roger

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:04 pm
@Eorl,
S'okay. Resigning and being arrested aren't the same thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:12 pm
@Eorl,
Ya know, to be fair, I understand that this pope's done better than any of his predecessors on this issue.
Eorl

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:46 pm
@dlowan,
As I understand it, it's not actually Pope's Benedict XVI's behaviour that's the issue here, but rather the actions of Cardinal Joe Ratzinger under the previous one.
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:41 pm
@Eorl,
Yes...I get that.. I dunno...I just hate lynch mobs, I guess.

I think a few of these guys get caught with the parcel, after centuries of "pass the parcel" and I kind of feel for them.

And, the current boy HAS tried to do SOMETHING.
tenderfoot

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:48 pm
All who were involved in the cover up should face court and be dealt with honestly same as you or I would be. And the Roman Catholic church should have only woman priests, then the children would be protected . or perhaps give em a sex change... they sure don't need their odd and ends in the doing of their job do they. ( says he with a giggle )
Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:11 am
@tenderfoot,
Or just remove their "odds", then they lose interest in their "ends" anyway! Laughing
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Yes...I get that.. I dunno...I just hate lynch mobs, I guess.

I think a few of these guys get caught with the parcel, after centuries of "pass the parcel" and I kind of feel for them.

And, the current boy HAS tried to do SOMETHING.

Yeah. (sigh). I know you're right, but these pitchforks are cool ! Check em out!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:14 am
@Eorl,
It was started by an Australian retired judge. Dawkins jumped on the band wagon being the media tart he is but couldnt take the flak.

You cant arrest the head of a state..it would mean war.
Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:18 am
@Ionus,
what state? the one Mussolini made up? the one the United Nations refused to have as a member on the grounds of not being a state?
dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:19 am
@Ionus,
It's a VERY small state. I reckon the UK could lick it.

Thing is, does the UK have that kind of legal agreement with the Vatican? I'd think the pope would have diplomatic immunity even so.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:20 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

what state? the one Mussolini made up? the one the United Nations refused to have as a member on the grounds of not being a state?

Really?
Ionus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:28 am
@Eorl,
It is recognised by many countries. It is just as much a state as any Theocracy.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:24 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Really?
Yep. Mussolini made the Vatican State out of Italian turf. Many strongly religious nations object to the Vatican/Catholic Religion having the diplomatic status of an independant state.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:58 am
It is worth a second thought.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:41 am
If a teacher, social worker or any other official knew of abuse and did not report it or take action to see that it was reported to authrorities, they would be charged. This is a bigger coverup than the Toyota fiasco.

The Vatican is an entity into itself. They saw this as an internal issue and just moved staff around to positions where they supposedly did the least harm.
Appearances was everything.

This should be very interesting to see how it's going to be received in the US churches.

Sue (I left the Church 20 years ago because of the elevated position of the priest in the parish and lack women's rights) Sullyfish
saab

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:38 am
@sullyfish6,
The strange thing is that as late as in the 1980 even very good psychologists and psycharatists believed that pedophiles and sexual abuser of young people could be cured by good therapy.
That is probably why some were moved to a place with good therapy.
Unfortunately they were all wrong in what they thought.
Also people were ashamed of telling openly what had happened to them. Luckily it has changed - now we can talk about it.
It is not many years ago when a woman was raped that even a judge would kind of hint ....it is probably her own fault. It certainly is not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:40 pm
@Ionus,
So, how many divisions does the Pope have?

I think it was Stalin who asked first, but still waiting on the answer.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 03:06 pm
Technically speaking, I don't believe the Pope is the Vatican's head of state. I think this is a common misconception.

T
K
O