Vocabulary form

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:41 am
Dear English teachers,
is my following sentence grammatical correct?Thanks a lot in advance.
The party performs incompletely or refuse to form the obligations on the due date.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 520 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:19 am
@Loh Jane,
If I'm being responsible at offering you help with grammar, I must correct this sentence first:
Quote:
... is my following sentence grammatical correct?

grammatically (adverb)

The party performs incompletely or refuses to perform the obligations on the due date.

However, it's not totally clear from the context whether or not performs is appropriate as I don't totally understand the intent with the phrase form the obligations. It would seem to me that you're trying to create a parallel construct...with the first condition and the second being connected.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 08:35 pm
@Ragman,
Hi,
thanks a lot for your correction.The website used the word 'form'. I guess it means begin.
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 11:57 pm
@Loh Jane,
Then the website would seem to be in error. My preference or suggestion would be to keep the parallel construct and use the word performs or switch to initiates.

Lastly, from the context you provide form doesn't exactly mean begin ... it means to formulate, put together, give shape to, put in order or proceed.

Furthermore, more appropriately, you don't form obligations. You may, however, perform them...initiate...or complete them.
Loh Jane

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 12:30 am
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman.
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 12:45 am
@Loh Jane,
You're quite welcome.
0 Replies