How to Write a Dialogue Where the Character Can't Speak in a Full Sentence?

Ikerot

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 10:21 pm
I was a bit confused on this since I don't exactly know which punctuation to use. So here's the sentence.

"You said... he just... his head exploded!" - That's currently on my Word, but I was thinking of using an em dash. I don't know. Can you give me an opinion?

This is correct or am I just being stupid?

roger

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 10:29 pm
@Ikerot,
You might try reading Elmore Leonard's stuff. His characters know little to nothing about complete sentences. In any case, there doesn't really seem to be a convention, so I suppose the em dash or ellipsis is as good as any. I can follow your sample well enough, so it's probably as good as anything. I notice many authors use a simple period after their fragments.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:10 am
@Ikerot,
Nothing wrong with your use of the ellipses. Dashes wouldn't work as well, imo.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:59 am
@roger,
Quote:
You might try reading Elmore Leonard's stuff. His characters know little to nothing about complete sentences.

Knowing you, you're probably stating this to be indicative of their poor language skills, Rog. If so, that's just another indication of your ignorance on language. If not, I can't imagine why you would have stated it in this manner.
roger

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm
@JTT,
Regretfully, JTT knows nothing of writing dialog. At least She/he/it can check Google for frequency of occurance and spelling, all the while completely avoiding answering the question.
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 12:25 pm
One of my favourite characters in fiction is the immortal Mr Jingle:

"Heads, heads - take care of your heads", cried the loquacious stranger as they came out under the low archway which in those days formed the entrance to the coachyard. "Terrible place – dangerous work – other day – five children – mother – tall lady, eating sandwiches – forgot the arch – crash – knock – children look round – mother's head off – sandwich in her hand – no mouth to put it in – head of family off – shocking, shocking. Looking at Whitehall Sir, – fine place – little window – somebody else's head off there, eh, Sir? – he didn't keep a sharp look-out either – eh, sir, eh?"
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:01 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Regretfully, JTT knows nothing of writing dialog.

That has nothing to do with what I mentioned, your ignorance on language, Roger the dodger.

Quote:
At least She/he/it can check Google for frequency of occurance[sic] and spelling,

When that's needed, yes, I most certainly can, Roger. What's yer point?

Quote:
all the while completely avoiding answering the question.

It's just as important, maybe more so, to address the ignorant statements that often accompany these questions.

Quote:
His characters know little to nothing about complete sentences.

Anyone who advances the ludicrous notion that people don't know how to speak in full sentences is highly ignorant about language.

I see that you've not seen fit to defend yourself.

Quote:
You might try reading Elmore Leonard's stuff.

You might try reading up a wee bit on the science of language so that you don't embarrass yourself so.
0 Replies