technology, facility or headache

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:16 am
looking forward to today`s technology. human life have been made a lot easier but at what cost. technology have made our lives easier and a bit miserable if one takes a look at them. so who is to blame here, the ever increasing world of technology or the lazy nature of us humans. but before you make your decision, consider all the points on both side. need is the mother of invention. the scientists have invented things according to our needs but we are the one who missuses them. so how can we blame them. on the other hand, technology have made our work a lot easier even sometimes all we need to do is push a button to get things done. for example dish washers and all the autmated technologies
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,391 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:27 am
@fordmart,
So, performing drudgery is somehow more noble than using technology?

Pick your drudgery. About 100, 200 years ago, when a lot of people lived on farms, they didn't just do dishes. They milked cows, got eggs from chickens, slaughtered their own meat, tilled the fields and made their own clothes. They also worked with the community to construct their homes (and to help their neighbors build theirs). Before you go dissing the dishwasher, recognize that the food in your refrigerator was likely grown by someone else, the clothes in your closet were probably all made by someone other than you, and your home and its furnishings were built by professionals.

For the people of that time period, there was little time for music, art and literature or even caring for their children beyond the basics. And all throughout history and prehistory before that, life was like that. It was not a simple matter of using a dishwasher (which, by the way, no one is forcing you to use. Grab a towel and a sponge and you can enjoy this delightful bit of drudgery even if there's a dishwashing unit in your home. No one is forcing you to use it. Hell, beat your clothes on a rock if you don't feel like using a washing machine).

Or is the drudgery only noble when someone else does it? Say, women?

Back these statements up with action. Go live for a year without electricity (after all, it's a convenience). Grow and slaughter your own foods and make your clothes. Do your own repairs. There are plenty of parts of technology and innovation that have been taken to ridiculous extremes. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
0 Replies

Suiky

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 10:02 am
@fordmart,
Hey. I try to walk more. I climb the stairs, I walk a lot and do gardening.
0 Replies