Two State Solution: Israeli-Palestinian Peace Talks Resume! (July 29, 2013)

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 07:01 am

I confess I had lost all hope. Way to go John Kerry!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23486045

If I'm not mistaken, this is exactly five years since talks last happened. (I believe talks ended on July 30, 2008 when Ehud Olmert announced that he would not be running for reelection.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:04 pm
@oralloy,
Huh?
You have NOOoooooo idea.
This is NOT what the media make you believe it to be.
tut-tut.
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:30 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Huh?
You have NOOoooooo idea.
This is NOT what the media make you believe it to be.
tut-tut.

Well, they will either produce a peace agreement or they won't.

I really didn't think Mr. Kerry would get even this far. He's already managed to achieve the impossible. And since he's achieved the impossible once already, maybe he can do it again. So maybe there is still hope. Maybe, even after this past decade of endless hate and anti-Semitism, peace can still be achieved.

We'll have to see how it all turns out. I see a small sliver of hope, and I'm grasping onto it.
mark noble

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:35 pm
@oralloy,
OK, g'luck buddy.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:11 pm
It is hard to imagine a Pal leader agreeing to any reasonable peace plan. The Pal leaders know that, should one agree to a reasonable agreement, he would be assassinated forthwith.
JTT

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 08:39 am
@oralloy,
I am all for it, Oralloy, totally, 150%, incontrovertibly, absolutely, ... .

I hope it flies!!!!!!
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 11:40 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
It is hard to imagine a Pal leader agreeing to any reasonable peace plan. The Pal leaders know that, should one agree to a reasonable agreement, he would be assassinated forthwith.

I think they are taking steps to prevent that. I'm not sure what all those steps are, but I suspect the steps include having all the Arab states publicly and enthusiastically endorse the agreement (should agreement be reached). That will undercut any arguments that the Palestinians got some sort of "bad deal".

One choice that will impact whether these negotiations succeed or not is: what everyone does about Hamas. They can either try to marginalize them or bring them into the process.

I hope they try to bring them into the process if at all possible. That will lead to Hamas becoming more moderate in their viewpoints.

If they marginalize Hamas, it will almost certainly make them resort to great violence.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 11:42 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I am all for it, Oralloy, totally, 150%, incontrovertibly, absolutely, ... .
I hope it flies!!!!!!

There are some good signs. The most notable good sign is the sheer absence of any information leaks from either side.

All sides are taking this very seriously and everyone is doing their very best to ensure that absolutely nothing undermines the negotiations.

Of course, that leads to frustration for those of us eager for updates, but it's still a great sign that the negotiators might actually finally succeed in making peace.
0 Replies