Are all the sentences fine?

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

As stated many times by many people, using "fine" is okay/correct/acceptable usage.
I don't think many of the members say the sentence is fine. Only you and JTT say that it is fine.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:20 pm
@tanguatlay,
The bird is already dead; give it up for chrissakes!
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The bird is already dead; give it up for chrissakes!
I wonder if JTT will agree with what you say. I think JTT will say the bird is very much alive.
JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 05:15 pm
@tanguatlay,
Obviously, CI is terribly confused, Ms Tan, as is Lustig Andrei. They throw around these terms like 'colloquial' without ever really knowing what they mean.

At one time they'll disparage language as colloquial, now they are saying 'fine' is not colloquial.

Have they offered you anything besides their opinions? All McTag has offered is him obfuscating.

When something doesn't sound natural to native speakers, it leaps out at them. As you've used this numerous times without much ado, it seems that these "native speakers" just want to jump on the McTag bandwagon.

Except for CI. He wants to jump on then jump off then jump back on, then off, then ... .

Here's a Google exact phrase search for
"Are all of them fine?"
About 1,630,000 results

Again, I'll say that it isn't the most common collocation, but that doesn't mean that it isn't used.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:42 pm
@JTT,
What is a brain-dead parrot doing on a2k? LOL
JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Notice how directly CI has addressed the language issue.
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 03:44 am
@JTT,
To me, "Are all the sentences fine?" is correct. No native speakers from other English forums have commented that it is colloquial or made other negative comments. In fact, they reply :The sentences are fine as written", to give one example.

I think the case should be closed.
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:51 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
To me, "Are all the sentences fine?" is correct. No native speakers from other English forums have commented that it is colloquial or made other negative comments.

No native speakers from this forum have commented that it was incorrect, MsTan. Of course it's correct. There's nothing wrong with language adjudged colloquial.

Quote:
I think the case should be closed.

The case was closed the first time I pointed out that it was just McTag, shooting his mouth off about things he knows precious little about.
McTag

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:24 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
McTag, shooting his mouth off

That's me all over. Smile

Helpful remark

Quote:
You might say, "Are these sentences all okay?", and receive the reply, "Yes, they're fine."
But it's not normal, in my experience, to ask, "Are they fine?" You'd probably want to put your question in a different way, as suggested.

"You can lead a horse to water..."
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 12:27 pm
@McTag,
Like this guy.
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Perhaps you want to explain for McTag, Izzy.
0 Replies