Are all the sentences fine?

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 03:32 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
then I believe you are doing the foreign learners a disservice.Your lack of commonsense is a severe handicap.

This coming from a rank prescriptivist is hilarity in the extreme.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 01:42 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
It seems McTag is leading me astray.

Rather than "leading you astray," I'd just say their opinion differs.

Sometimes experts have opposite opinions on a subject. Sometimes dueling experts are even both correct in their own way, even though they contradict each other.

English is an evolving language. New words or phrases come into being and are thought of as slang at first. But through repeated popular use, some of them gradually become more and more accepted. Likewise, sometimes old words or phrases fall into disuse.

I think JTT is more accepting of less common usages, while McTag is more in favor of stricter rules governing what is proper language.

If you want to be more formal in your language, use McTag's way of thinking. If you are chatting with a friend on a street corner, use JTT's way of thinking.
McTag

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 01:51 am
@JTT,

Quote:
That's what you should have advised from the outset instead of playing your silly little games.

If you look at what I said at the outset, you will find it flawless.

The silly games are being played by you.

Your compulsion to continually denigrate other people is clouding your highly-educated judgement.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 01:56 am
@JTT,

Quote:
"are they fine"
About 485,000 results

If I googled "Gee, whizz" I'd probably get millions of hits which would prove little except I shouldn't use this criterion to judge what is good English and what is not.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 06:34 am
@McTag,
Quote:
If I googled "Gee, whizz" I'd probably get millions of hits which would prove little except I shouldn't use this criterion to judge what is good English and what is not.

That's the whole test. You aren't informed enough to decide what is good English. Your ideas as regards English are so severely jaundiced by years of brain washing about how language actually works.

Gee whiz is fantastic English, FOR THE APPROPRIATE SITUATION.

Instead of trying to understand, you just keep on leaping up to exhibit your ignorance.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 06:50 am
@JTT,
Your English isn't that good either, you're extremely ignorant on all forms of English other than American. The internet is dominated by Americans, so if you rely on google to prove a point all you'll get is what Americans have typed in.

The language is English not American, American English is just a variation.
McTag

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 07:17 am
@JTT,

Quote:
leaping up

I don't leap up, you leap up, then I tell you you're crap.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 08:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
... you're extremely ignorant on all forms of English other than American.

Now that's just plain silly, Izzy. The structures, the grammar for all dialects of English is pretty much the same. Do I know the idioms of all dialects of English? Of course not.

Quote:
The internet is dominated by Americans, so if you rely on google to prove a point all you'll get is what Americans have typed in.

Well, actually, you can do a region specific, which basically boils down to BrE, AuE, AmE, CdE, etc. But, by all means, don't bother to find out what you're talking about before putting your foot in your mouth.

Quote:
The language is English not American, American English is just a variation.

Gee, I never knew that.

But AmE is by far the dominant dialect on the planet. And for purposes of this present discussion, there was no need to break this down on a dialect basis. The collocation used by Ms Tan was not the most common but it does see use.

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 08:32 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Gee whiz is fantastic English, FOR THE APPROPRIATE SITUATION.

Your silly prescription got shot down again, so what happens - tangent time!!
McTag

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 02:24 am
@JTT,

You didn't quote me, you quoted yourself.
Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
Your compulsion to continually denigrate other people is clouding your highly-educated judgement.
I don't leap up, you leap up, then I tell you you're crap.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 03:07 am
@JTT,
You don't ask advice of a wine 'expert' who only knows about chardonnay.

Btw, did you do a region specific search? Did you ****.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 06:08 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't ask advice of a wine 'expert' who only knows about chardonnay.

You either failed to understand or worse, you're perpetuating your dishonesty. You are hardly the one to be here discussing language issues.

Quote:
Btw, did you do a region specific search? Did you ****.

Now you're just getting stupid. The only reason you're here is to try to get back at me for pointing out your hypocrisy in other threads. If you want to actually discuss language, then you better get a bit more up to speed.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 06:10 am
@McTag,
Of course I quoted myself. The issue was another silly point you made about language. It got shot down so you do what you always do, take the dishonest approach and shoot off on a tangent.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 06:30 am
@JTT,
You are the hypocrite, you're a coward who hides behind anonymity so he can insult and accuse others based purely on their nationality while at the same time failing to face up to your own actions.

You don't give a **** about people harmed by America or anyone else, all you care about is being right.

Just because you say something is true doesn't make it true, and your knowledge of language is fairly crappy to say the least, regardless of what you may think.

You're just a domineering bully who only cares about themselves, and you're too cowardly to even admit to being an American. You can hide behind A2K's terms and conditions all you want, but that's what a coward would do.

And, I'm not the only poster who found your obsession with Gracie just a bit creepy.

You should be nice to me, I'm one of a handful of posters who haven't got you on ignore. It won't be long before you're shouting in an empty room.
McTag

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 06:39 am
@JTT,

Quote:
The issue was another silly point you made about language. It got shot down

I think you're wrong about that. Your personal attacks are tiresome, and frequently based on nothing at all. And don't get me started on your other shortcomings. You haunt this forum like a bad smell.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
Typical Izzy. You can't discuss the language issues so you go to this nonsense.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:53 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I think you're wrong about that.

But you go off on yet another tangent so that you won't have to discuss the language issue.

So sad.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:56 am
@JTT,
If you look right back at the beginning of this thread you'll see I already answered the question. You decided to have a go at Taggers for no reason other than pandering to your own ego, using google to try to prove a point. It's navel gazing, and narcissistic, and does not help the poster or further the discussion one whit.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I think JTT is more accepting of less common usages, while McTag is more in favor of stricter rules governing what is proper language.

You don't have the foggiest notion of what you are talking about, Izzy. McTag is a complete study in confusion. He offers "advice" but he can't say where it comes from. He has vague ideas but they all come from his teachers or his parents or dog knows where.

He never bothers to offer any sources anymore because he knows that his sources are a bunch of know nothing prescriptivists.

Quote:
English is an evolving language. New words or phrases come into being and are thought of as slang at first. But through repeated popular use, some of them gradually become more and more accepted. Likewise, sometimes old words or phrases fall into disuse.

Nice little soliloquy but you haven't said anything. We're dealing with a particular usage. It's has been determined that it is not the most common use but it is a possibility
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:29 pm
@JTT,
You're the Oralboy, spreading hate, you're full of ****. I won't waste anymore time with you. I've never had time for cowards or bullies, you're just pissed off because you've been sussed out.
0 Replies