what does "chaminade" mean?

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 03:52 am
The door of the box opened and Courtenay Youghal entered, bringing with him subtle suggestion of chaminade and an atmosphere of political tension. The Government had fallen out of the good graces of a section of its supporters, and those who were not in the know were busy predicting a serious crisis over a forthcoming division in the Committee stage of an important Bill. This was Saturday night, and unless some successful cajolery were effected between now and Monday afternoon, Ministers would be, seemingly, in danger of defeat.

I have two questions about this paragraph. What does chaminade mean? and what about the last sentence? why does the drama have anything to do with Minister's defeat?
Thanks

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:51 am
Either this is not a complete and accurate transcription, or it was not done by a native speaker of English. Chaminade is a proper noun in French, it is a family name, most often associated Cécile Chaminade, a French composer. The last sentence means that unless the government could get back the good will of the supporters who had been disenchanted, the bill being proposed would be defeated.

If this was written by a native speaker, he or she is an inept writer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:54 am
OK, i found this character's name as a product of H. H. Munro, who often used the pen name Saki. As i said, an inept writer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:57 am
I have consulted a few French dictionaries (online), and can find no evidence that chaminade is a common noun. Munro, as usual, makes things up to create a mood. Apparently, the English thought him quite witty. There's no accounting for taste.
jespah

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:42 am
@Setanta,
Chaminade is a High School on Long Island.
lizfeehily

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:07 am
@Setanta,
thank you Setanta, you are right, Saki often made names up, be it people's names or book titles. I guess I 'll have to find another way to translate this.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:31 am
@lizfeehily,
Liz maybe some religious significance in Youghal's approach to "political tension"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Joseph_Chaminade
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:53 am
What a total idiot.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
You're right: there's no accounting for taste. I find Saki (H.H. Munro) quite witty and I'm certainly not British.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 03:50 pm
I think possibly the suggestion is of a (possibly rather camp) "high" Anglicanism, given the presence of an Archdeacon and the fact that The Blessed William Joseph Chaminade, S.M. was a French Catholic priest who survived persecution during the French Revolution and later founded the Society of Mary, usually called the Marianists, in 1817.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:21 pm
@jespah,
And in the Los Angeles area. (I've no idea what the students and faculty thought it meant)

Ah, just saw Contrex's post.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 11:39 pm
@lizfeehily,
Far from hectoring his nonpareil neologisms to nearly applauding the chaminade gaeity of the escamotage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saki

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:10 am
This member is making a translation. For all of you who are struggling so hard ot sound wise or witty: if you cannot tell what Munro meant in using chaminade as a common noun, you're not helping; furthermore, if you claim to know when in fact you don't, you're lying.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:16 am
@Setanta,
We're such awful people
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:28 am
I certainly haven't said that--i have already pointed out that i consider you an idiot. This member makes translations--idle speculation is no help to her at all.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:30 am
@Setanta,
I'm such an awful person
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:39 am
@dalehileman,
You certainly are a snide son of a bitch.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You certainly are a snide son of a bitch.

It's amazing, Setanta, how you, OF ALL PEOPLE, can make these kind of remarks. Beth sees thru your kind of crap so well. Hasn't she ever told you just how hypocritical you are?
0 Replies

lillyandrew

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 03:34 am
@lizfeehily,
Didn't understand the word.
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:19 am
thank you guys for all your answers. All of the discussion is very helpful. Thank you. I am more inclined to believe that chaminade here means a sense of religion.
0 Replies