I have a conundrum

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:59 pm
@jespah,
Another hint folks....

if you're hiring someone for a 3 month gig, and you find out in the first week they aren't working out....just call the agency and ask for a replacement.

The temp isn't your employee, they work for the agency. You don't tell them not to come back, the agency does.
Even if you replace them in a week, you still got quite a bit of work done.

It's like people are so afraid of making the wrong decision, they're paralyzed.

It's a temp for God's sake. The temp just wants some cash coming in, they really don't care where they are working (or shouldn't unless it's a hell hole).

You want someone to cover for someone out, or for a project. It's not a marriage.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:00 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Hint, folks - the interviewing process for all candidates should not be more hours than the temp assignment is in months. E. g. 3 months' gig? Less than 3 months total of interviewing (not phone screening; I mean face time).

I think you meant 3 hours interviewing time. (he he)

Good rule of thumb jes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:35 pm
ok....the only 2 times I ever said I wouldn't go back to a temp assignment, or told them to replace me asap.

The first one, where I refused to go back...
I thought is was a really sweet deal.
It was for every Saturday and Sunday, for a home builder, only like 6 hours a day, at like twice the pay I would have expected, for really basic duties like texting the owner w/ messages, updating his calendar, being a voice answering the phone for clients, filing etc. I was like "wow, this is like the equiv of 24 hours regular pay, I just have to get a couple of days during the week, so I can interview, or if I worked all week it's money I can put aside.

The guy let's me in, an hour later his wife (didn't know it was his wife, thought it was his during the week office manager) comes in, shows me around and leaves. 1/2 an hour later he's on the phone with someone, I thought it was some kind of partner or contractor, with whom he was having a slight disagreement. Then, the talk escalated, becoming more annoyed....then I realized he was talking to the office manager woman....then the cussing started.....as I realized it was his wife. He was loudly talking, storming around, saying things of a very intimate nature I had no business knowing...turned into a full fledged personal argument, screaming match.
When he hung up, he said "I hope this doesn't mean you aren't coming back." I made a non commital noise, but as soon as I left (it was a Saturday) I called the agency and said "No way."

The 2nd one, and I may have already talked about this, was a job that was supposed to be temp to perm.
One thing about agencies....don't let them tell you that if you leave a temp to perm assignment because you're the one who's not happy, that they are ever going to try to place you anywhere again.
I started at this place that was (I thought) a dream come true. Great location, great pay, work I enjoyed. I had interviewed with 2 of the 4 directors I would be supporting, and very shortly understood why I had not interviewed with one of the other 2.
She was an absolute crazy bitch, no ifs and or buts. Huge power trip and got off on belittling others.
I tried to figure out how to make this job work and gave up. When I called the agency I explained rationally what was going on, and was made to feel like it had to be my fault, that I was the one off. I remember saying to them "I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Going there is literally making me feel ill, but I'm not hearing you say you'll replace me. If I tell you I'm not going back, you're going to take that as me walking off, and you won't use me again." I spoke to the HR person there 2 or 3 times over as many days, asking her each time if she'd talked to the agency yet. She finally asked me why I didn't just leave, and didn't seem to get if that if I did that I wouldn't be used again.
I also went to one of the directors that interviewed me (I realized by that time she had issues too) I basically told her they would have to be the ones to request to have me replaced. I remember she said "Why, they can just put you somewhere else" I asked her if she'd ever worked for an agency, and she said pretty much "No, of course not, but I know how they work" I told her, "No really, you don't. If I'm the one that says I quit, I'm tainted goods to them, and they'll never use me again."

As it turned out, they (finally) told me to go ahead and leave (after a week of hell) and the agency gave me an attitude when I called in several times after that, so I just wrote them off.

I'm serious when say agencies are basically pimps. I don't resent them for that, but I'm under no illusion they really care about you specifically.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 06:55 pm
Went to a group interview today, as in there were a total of 7 candidates being asked questions by 3 people, in a round table group. One of the interviewers was the CEO, who is the person I would be reporting to.

It was interesting, and actually pretty helpful.

I felt in brought out the best in me. I'm sure at least some of the others there felt the same way.

If I'm called back for the 2nd stage tomorrow, it will be with I'm guessing less people. The 2nd stage will be about accessing technical skills. All of the questions today were about general personality.

We were asked to fill out a brief questionaire before leaving. One of the questions was "Who would you bring back for a 2nd interview (besides yourself?)
0 Replies