Dogs waiting outside stores: when and how?

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:23 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Of course you can leave your puppy for short periods of time alone at home. I wouldn't leave him for hours.

Do you crate him at night? How are you house training him? You should do the same thing. It is better for him to learn slowly (meaning with shorter periods of time) that it is ok and safe for him to be alone.

Yes - he will cry at first. You crate him or keep him in a small area where he cannot get out. Provide fresh water and safe toys for him, a soft place to rest. He will soon learn that when you leave, you will come back. It is part of basic puppy training.

But I wouldn't suggest leaving him outside of a store tied up even as they get older. Some people do steal dogs. I'd rather leave him at home where he is comfortable and used to.

I have had dogs all my life.
firefly

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:32 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Quote:
However, it got me to thinking, what do other owners do when they need to go to stores?

When I go to the store, I either put my puppy in his crate, or I confine him in my kitchen, but I do not take him with me.

Like your dog, my puppy is too young to be left unattended and just roaming around the house. Even when he is left in the bedroom overnight, he's confined to a specific area where he can walk around, play with toys, and have food and water, but he really can't access or reach anything that could harm him or that I don't want chewed up.
Quote:
I've seen dogs tied to trees and poles as they wait for their masters, and I was wondering when, if ever, I could do that with my dog? At what age?

I have never, ever, left one of my dogs tied to a pole or tree outside a store, nor would I ever do that. I would never take the risk that someone might walk off with my dog. I also know that my dogs would not be happy left tied up that way in a strange location. I have also never left my dogs unattended in a car when I went into a store to shop.

Unless you're going to a store that is pet-friendly, like Petco, where you can bring him in with you, you really should just leave him at home, preferably in a confined area. If no one else is at home to keep him company, leave a radio or TV on for him, so he hears some sounds that are familiar for him.

Don't worry, if you leave him alone at home he'll stop crying and just take a nap. But be sure he's confined to an area where he can't harm himself or get into any trouble.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I have never, ever, left one of my dogs tied to a pole or tree outside a store, nor would I ever do that. I would never take the risk that someone might walk off with my dog. I also know that my dogs would not be happy left tied up that way in a strange location. I have also never left my dogs unattended in a car when I went into a store to shop.

Cesar Millan, calling Cesar Millan, you are needed, desperately.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:47 pm
@Linkat,
Once a month, every month, we had an art opening at our studio. I had to be there from before six to 9pm.

I put Pacco in the crate as I left the house, after a visit to the yard.

I faced the crate to the front door.

Every time I came home, he was just waking up.

But, he also liked the crate as a kind of den in the bedroom, sort of cushy, and facing me, crate door open. His nook. It was a fairly big crate, sort of plush, usually open.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I tend to be on ehBeth's side on all this. This is the time to make your dog savvy, and princess pink poster is just learning, not to mention the rest of the family.

Please find out if there is a park obedience training situation going on, or spring for the money for actual lessons.

All the cuteness, please.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 09:14 am
@PinkLipstick,
what a cutie Very Happy
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:49 am
This summarizes it fairly well...

Quote:
Should You Leave Your Dog Tied Up Outside Of A Store?
Posted by Heather Rose

It's a controversial subject! Some people are adamantly against it, while others do it often with no problems. (Wait a minute, that's something that can be said about nearly everything related to dog ownership, training and feeding!)

In this case, we're talking about leaving your dog tied up outside of store for a couple minutes when you're running errands.

There's even a shaming movement, with a blog out of New York City that used to post photos of dogs tied up outside of stores.
http://dogstiedupnyc.blogspot.ca/

"What happens when you lock a bike up on the streets of NYC? It gets stolen or vandalized. Why would you put your dog in that same situation," says the blog header, and that certainly would make sense to a lot of people.

Dog tethering laws (laws that restrict, prohibit or lead to hefty fines for people who tie their dog up in their yard unattended all day, sometimes in extreme heat or cold) are in place across some areas of North America, with new ones being proposed often. However, few places have laws against tying your dog up outside of a store, unattended but there are many, many reasons why you shouldn't. Three of those reasons are extra important:

Your dog could get stolen. Dogs are stolen frequently, regardless of their breed, size or perceived financial value. They are stolen from backyards, cars and from outside shops - even if it's broad daylight and there's lots of people around. It can happen in an instant, regardless of whether you live in a small town or a big city.

If you do feel safe leaving your dog outside of a storefront for a few minutes, consider investing in a leash that's meant for just that purpose. There are a number of cut-proof or steel cable reinforced leashes available, even ones that have combination locks on both the collar and the leash.

Your dog has to deal with strangers without you. While the primary worry about leaving dogs tied up in front of stores is theft, a huge concern is that your dog will be interacting with strangers without you knowing about it. This means your dog could be around strange dogs, or be interacting with people and small children, who may not know the best way to approach a new dog.

Even if your dog is the friendliest dog around, a pile of small children all of a sudden rushing your restrained dog can cause your dog to become nervous or afraid, and you're not around to keep him - or others - safe.

Ten minutes is not always ten minutes. "Just a few minutes" is one thing, but will it really be just a few minutes? What if something's wrong, and the cashier needs to wait for a manager? What if the lines are way longer than you anticipated? What if you can't find the ingredient you needed for dinner tonight, so you need to change your entire recipe and spend more time getting ingredients? When things like this happen, we can easily lose track of time and not realize that 10 minutes quickly turned into half an hour.

http://earthrated.com/blog/should-you-leave-your-dog-tied-up-outside-of-a-store

In some places it is also illegal to leave a dog tethered outside of a store--the leash laws in some areas require that a human be at the end of the leash.

My greatest fear would be that my dog might be stolen. I wouldn't leave anything I valued tied to a pole outside a store, let alone my dog.

This article talks about that sort of thing, dogs being stolen from outside stores, in Chicago.
http://www.chicagonow.com/raining-cats-dogs/2013/04/leaving-your-dog-tied-up-risk/

0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 10:32 am
@Linkat,
Linkat I agree with you, and others. I did exactly what you wrote and I also left soft music playing.
0 Replies