Dogs waiting outside stores: when and how?

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:05 am
I needed to go to the store today, but nobody was home to watch my puppy until I got back, so I waited until someone got here. However, it got me to thinking, what do other owners do when they need to go to stores? I've seen dogs tied to trees and poles as they wait for their masters, and I was wondering when, if ever, I could do that with my dog? At what age? He's a beagle and 16 weeks old. He cries when I leave, even if it's only for 2 minutes, so I wish I could take him with me on errands since he loves going out too, but most stores have "no pets allowed" in large print on their doors.

If I could do that at a certain age with my beagle, how would I do it? I wouldn't be in the store for long, but should I carry water bowls with me and leave them outside with him for him to drink when he gets thirsty? How do other owners get their dogs to stay outside without crying?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,797 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:17 am
@PinkLipstick,
Your dog is far too young to be left unattended. Your store trips have to wait.

Have you started formal training with your dog yet? you need to talk to the trainer about this.

Because beagles are scent dogs, some of them are never safe to be left unattended.
trying2learn

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:18 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Have you started formal training with your dog yet? you need to talk to the trainer about this.
ehBeth has a very good point. I started training my dog at 4 months and it wasn't easy.

I am just wondering, are you home all the time? You can't leave the house unless someone is there to watch your dog?
PinkLipstick

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:51 pm
@trying2learn,
Yes, right now I'm home all the time since I'm on summer break. However, usually, there are people home to watch him (there are 7 members of the household, so at least 1 person is home at all times), so there won't be a problem when school starts up again. The reason today was an issue was because most of my family left on vacation this weekend. I stayed home with my grandmother and my puppy, but my grandmother had gone out for a few minutes, so I was alone with my puppy and had no one to watch him to go to the store.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:40 am
Don't expect a beagle to ever do this.

I hope you have fields and pheasants for that dog to work. That's what beagles are for.

You should have gotten a basset hound if you wanted a dog to wait outside stores.
PinkLipstick

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes, that's what they were bred for. However, they are now very versatile. They're used for all kinds of different things! Not only that but they're one of the most loving, gentle, even tempered dogs out there! And they're great with kids (of which we have a lot of). And they have a lovely loud voice, which fit in perfectly with our loudmouth family (we sometimes go out to the back and howl at the moon with him. What other dog has such lovely vocal chords?). And he's medium sized, so he won't take up the whole couch when he's full grown.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 03:21 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Have you started training with the dog yet?
PinkLipstick

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep! So far, he's learned sit, fetch, come. Right now, he's working on release.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:40 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Have you asked the trainer about leaving him outside shops while you go inside?
trying2learn

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Just curious why someone has to watch your dog?
PinkLipstick

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:41 pm
@ehBeth,
No, I'm training him myself. I use the internet to learn how. Also, I've noticed that he'll do anything for food.
PinkLipstick

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:45 pm
@trying2learn,
Its not just my dog, its the whole families dog. We all take care of him together. All 7 of us! As for why we watch him, well, he's a puppy! If we don't watch him, he gets into trouble.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:50 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Crying or Very sad
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:50 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:31 pm
@Ragman,
You've outdone yourself in eloquence, Ragman.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:32 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Quote:
No, I'm training him myself. I use the internet to learn how. Also, I've noticed that he'll do anything for food.

Good for you PLS. People who use trainers shouldn't own a dog.
PinkLipstick

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:18 am
@JTT,
He loves training time, too! He gets loads of attention and plenty of belly rubs and yummy treats for a job well done. Also, right before giving him a belly rub, I say "good boy", so now when I say it, even before I crouch down, he falls on his back and spreads his limbs to expose his belly in anticipation of the belly rub.
PinkLipstick

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 08:00 am
@PinkLipstick,
http://i.imgur.com/dfcbeaW.jpg
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:46 am
@PinkLipstick,
That's how to make a dog, even people, learn anything - loads of fun, treats and lots of belly rubs. Smile

Do puppies' mothers take their puppies to dog trainers?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:46 pm
@PinkLipstick,
The internet has lots of resources for training, to be sure. Also check out youtube - some famous dog trainers have training videos there. And it's more than just training - it's also understanding the dog as an animal (as compared to a cat, say). Cats don't have the alpha thing going on, for example.

If you love your dog (and it sounds like you do), and learn how to train him, he'll do anything for you. I have a border collie and a beagle, and the beagle is the one who always instigates things around here, ie getting into the garbage, always looking for food, trying to find an escape hatch in the garden... Smile
0 Replies