helppp please !!!! I need help or tips on becoming a vegetarian

Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:01 am
Im 14 years old and Ive been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while now. Every since I was about 11 I started to hate meat. But I could eat mcdonalds chicken sandwich or something like that , but I dont even do that. I cant even stand the smell of meat when my mom cooks it. I want to be a vegetarian but all my mom buys is meat. Umm how do I go about this ?

jespah

Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:07 am
@justice007,
You are going to need to work with her, because you are dependent upon what is in the house, and what she buys.

I scarcely think all she buys is meat. I bet you've got ice cream, the makings for salad and potato chips in your home. Those are all vegetarian, but only one of them is actually good for you.

The point I am making is, you need to educate yourself about nutrition before you attempt to make the case to your mother that you want to be a vegetarian. She needs to know that your growth won't be stunted, etc. Might I suggest SparkTeens (yes, it's a diet site) because it's free and comprehensive, and it will teach you about nutrition. I have little doubt that there are teens on there who are vegetarians or are considering it.

Also ask to see your pediatrician, as s/he will have suggestions, and it will show your responsibility in this area. I became a vegetarian when I was 13, and was so for a good 15 years (I still don't eat beef, but I did go back to eating chicken, and I was always eating fish, eggs and dairy products back then), and my doctor was more concerned about iron for me, than protein intake, and I used to take a supplement. So do this, and demonstrate that this is a responsible decision you're making, and not just an "I hate meat" decision.
justice007

Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:15 am
@jespah,
Thanks alot . And I dont really like hate meat . I just dont like the taste of any meat is what I shoulldve said .
0 Replies

cosmetictours

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 04:32 am
@justice007,
If you cant tolerate the smell of meat then its always better to go for a complete veg diet. Veg diet helps in weight management as well. Good luck!
justice007

Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:42 am
@cosmetictours,
Thanks Smile !
0 Replies