A cat column by a cat loving newspaper writer

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:44 pm
The first paragraph of this link goes as a tease to those of his readers who hate cat columns...

but you may enjoy some of the rest of the column. Find Jon Carroll on this and other matters at SFGate.com, which is the San Francisco Chronicle's web site. He has written some classic cat columns, this one is just middling, but has the virtue of being printed Today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/18/DD156458.DTL

One of these days, I will learn to do links the cool Able2Know.com way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,352 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:58 am
very nice, Osso!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:56 pm
Very nice piece of writing, informative as well, I never knew that my dearest little one drools due to early weaning, I just thought she was wierd. Whew, now I know its normal for she was weaned early, and has many personality traits I believe come from this, the sleeping under the bed thing he mentions is also a strange trait she shows.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:19 pm
Ossobuco

Lovely writing! Obviously written by someone who observes their cats very closely.
Have you ever read any of Doris Lessings' writin on her cats? Wonderful!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:43 pm
Osso

You've brought him to our attention before - he always seems a good read!
Thanks
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:05 pm
No, I haven't read Lessing on cats. Or, indeed anything else. I had a book of hers once. Wonder what happened to it. Police procedurals and mysteries tend to intervene in some of my reading stack priorities.

Are they articles, or short stories, or?

One of my favorite cat pieces is by Eleanor Clark, in Rome and a Villa. Classic piece on feral cats in piazza Vittorio Emanuele...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:07 pm
Margo, I love it when you post, I think your avatar is terrific. Is that Possum?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:09 pm
Uh, I like your opinions too...

Margo, I love it when you post, I think your avatar is terrific. Is that Possum?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 05:19 am
ossobuco

Doris L. obviously took great delight in her various cats over the years. In between her VERY SERIOUS books she also wrote a number of short stories & small books about them.
One short story I love, but can't read a lot (because it always reduces me to tears! Crying or Very sad ) is 'An Old Woman & Her Cat' - about a fiercely independent old woman in London, who chooses to become a squatter rather than face the indignity of an 'old people's home', minus her cat. It's about how they survive together, then finally perish. Not at all soppy, totally credible.
She also wrote 'Particular Cats' & a favourite of mine, 'The old Age of El Magnifico'... about an old cat & his reactions to a serious ailment (won't give the story away!).
The thing I like about her cat writings is that she treats them with such respect! She obviously admires them enormously. Not at all sloppy, sentimental stuff. It was wonderful for me that the writer I most admired was also a serious observer of the cats in her life ...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
Thanks, Osso

Yes - that's Possum, taken last Christmas Day, watching us play with his new toys! He usually sits with me when I'm playing here - and likes to see his picture.

Olga - must wander off and try to find some of the Doris Lessing books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:19 pm
Me too, msolga...I like good cat writing...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:32 pm
Then you'll like Doris, Osso.
Recommended.
0 Replies