spaying a pregnant dog

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:31 am
I recently rescued a pregnant pit bull that appeared to have just had a litter. Three different vets had told us she was not pregnant but when we had her spayed, it turned out she was about 6 weeks pregnant with 4 pups. Her body was worn out and looked as though she had been pregnant her whole life. A few days after the surgery, she started rounding up stuffed animals (and a rope tug toy) and has been lying on them for 10 days as though they were nursing and is very protective of them. Ten solid days in bed except for going out to potty. What can I do to help her?

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 06:53 am
@Texas tea,
Aw, poor thing. Good on ya for rescuing her.

I figure this is maternal-style nesting behavior, and if she was pregnant for much of her life then this is the only life she knows. I suggest a trainer or an animal behavior professional, to figure out ways to get her to feel more secure, and to understand that there are other behaviors out there that can lead to rewards (e. g. mastering commands).
0 Replies