Coffee withdrawal sucks

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:19 pm
My doctor told me I need to stop drinking coffee. There is a list of other things, but coffee is the hardest to give up. I have had a constant headache for two days, an ironic difficulty sleeping, and have have the feeling I am not all there mentally. I allowed myself a cup of tea the evening.

Anyone else go through this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 07:55 pm
@maxdancona,
One time I gave up coffee was after surgery with a truckload of medication in me so I wasn't bothered. Actually I was more bothered by the 15 days of no food and just the danged i.v. drip.

Then another time I had to quit coffee for some kidney testing. I also had to quit a few other items and was just eating eggs and potatoes for a few days so that irritated enough that coffee wasn't a huge issue.

Last year (actually right about this time) I was advised to stop drinking coffee. The next 2 days were horrid. The headache, the nausea. Fortunately, I then developed another isssue which sent me off to the hospital where I was given morphine. It cured the headache and put me to sleep. When I awoke (the second time, not the first while a lumbar puncture was being done) the headache was miraculously gone. Naturally I returned to drinking coffee 2 months later.

I wish you the best in this endeavor as I have never been able to stay free from it. (gave up the booze and smokes but not the tasty treat known as coffee)
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 08:37 pm
@maxdancona,
I lived in England for a number of years. Soon got used to drinking tea, but English style with milk (not cream) and sugar. It soon got to where I craved a cuppa (as they say) as much as I ever did coffee. I only resumed drinking coffee when I returned to the States after six years, mainly because I didn't care for teabag tea.

I don't believe that tea produces the gastric problems which occasionally result from coffee. And I don't believe tea sends you to the urinal quite so often. If you can tolerate it, tea would be a good substitute, given time.

I do know that tea drinkers experience the same withdrawal problems as coffee addicts ... headaches, upset stomach, etc.

0 Replies