What is the difference between "belief in God is just wishful thinking“ and "belief in God is..."?

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 10:43 am
What is the difference between "belief in God is just wishful thinking" and "belief in God is just a wishful thinking"?

Context:

Additional fuel for the atheist perspective subsequently was supplied by the writings Sigmund Freud, who argued that belief in God is just wishful thinking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 419 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 10:46 am
Wishful thinking is a category of mental error, and does not require an article ('a') before it. We never say "a wishful thinking".
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 12:23 pm
@oristarA,
Con is quite right though occasional rare instances arise when one might use "a"

I asked of my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, and she replied that in most cases the use of "a" is wrong, with the possible exception of subject "...narrow, one particular point"

For instance John Edemeir's conclusion in the matter of the life of an electron, in spite of assertions of denial by other experts in the field, his hope to learn the effect of a change in its velocity according to its age, might be called a wishful thinking
contrex

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 12:51 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
For instance John Edemeir's conclusion in the matter of the life of an electron, in spite of assertions of denial by other experts in the field, his hope to learn the effect of a change in its velocity according to its age, might be called a wishful thinking

I'd rather call it a 'wishful thought' or maybe better 'an example of wishful thinking' although I would be uneasy about this because the phrase 'wishful thinking' has a particular meaning: "interpretation of facts, actions, words, etc., as one would like them to be rather than as they really are" or "the formation of beliefs and making decisions according to what might be pleasing to imagine instead of by appealing to evidence, rationality, or reality." If the nature of the electron as asserted by Edermeir's detractors is not a proven fact, 'wishful thinking' would seem to be inappropriate, as there is not a 'reality' that he is wilfully denying.

Who is this Edemeir character? Google doesn't seem to find him.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 01:49 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I'd rather call it a 'wishful thought'
Yea Con that thought had occurred to me also

Quote:
or maybe better 'an example of wishful thinking'
Yea even better but I was stuck with "a wishful thinking"

Quote:
If the nature of the electron as asserted by Edermeir's detractors is not a proven fact, 'wishful thinking' would seem to be inappropriate, as there is not a 'reality' that he is wilfully denying.
It's the assertions of denial that he could be willfully denying. Maybe somebody else hereabout could dredge up a better example than mine

Quote:
Who is this Edemeir charater? Google doesn't seem to find him.
I'm impressed by your curiosity and flattered that you would attach probability to his assertions. It's entirely fiction
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 09:57 am
Thank you both.

Here's another "a" question:

Which is correct?
"The passage therefore preserves uniquely early and verifiable testimony. It meets every reasonable demand of historical reliability."
versus:
"The passage therefore preserves a uniquely early and verifiable testimony. It meets every reasonable demand of historical reliability."
dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:39 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
preserves a uniquely early and verifiable testimony
Would seem to imply there might have been a single testimonial by an especially important character
0 Replies