can 13 year olds wear tampons?

omfg

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:47 am
OK this is the story , i am going to a sleep-away( week - long) camp this Friday and i got my period on Monday and as soon as we get to the camp you have to take a swimming test , so all my aunt buys me are pads and when i told her i need tampons to get in the pool she says " 13 year old's aren't supposed to wear tampons" and i'm so confused and angry . what is your opinion ? and what should i do?

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:51 am
@omfg,
She's wrong.

Tampons are to absorb menstrual blood. They won't stretch or break your hymen (e. g. you'll still be a virgin even if you use tampons). Follow the directions for insertion and be sure to remove the last one when your period is finished and you don't need it anymore (you'd be surprised at the number of women who forget this - personally, I would notice, know what I'm sayin'?).

Have fun at camp!
omfg

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:53 am
@jespah,
but she wont buy them Sad
jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:57 am
@omfg,
I think the box in my upstairs bathroom cost less than $5. You can afford this, yes?
Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:58 am
@omfg,
So? Can't you buy it? Don't you have your own money? What about your mom?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:02 am
@jespah,
Does that include postage and packing?

Please will you send them UBS?
0 Replies

omfg

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:26 am
@jespah,
i dont have money Sad but that is a wonderful offer thanks
Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:46 am
@omfg,
umm... I believe that she isn't offering to send it to you. She was advising you about the price.
omfg

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:52 am
@Ragman,
oh :/
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 10:55 am
Older women used to tell young girls that in the 1950s. My aunt told my sister that tampons would make her "less of a virgin".
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 10:58 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

umm... I believe that she isn't offering to send it to you. She was advising you about the price.

Exactly. 'Sides I can just imagine how that would go over.

I got a package! It's from a strange woman who sent me tampons!
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 11:01 am
@jespah,
The reply could well be...."why would a strange woman be sending a hairy 40 year old son of mine a box of tampons?"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 11:31 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I think the box in my upstairs bathroom cost less than $5. You can afford this, yes?

I posted this video once before, but it's worth posting again.

Humor aside, I think these 2 girls have done an excellent job of instruction.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 11:37 am
@omfg,
omfg wrote:

i dont have money Sad but that is a wonderful offer thanks

A box of 20 store brand tampons costs about $3.50, plus tax.

You can't scrounge together $4?
When you get to your friends house, get one from her, another friend, or take one from their bathroom.

Plus, if you got your period on Monday, it should pretty much be over by Friday.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:44 pm
@omfg,
The camp leaders/counselors will more than likely have a supply of tampons available for you. You won't be the first or last 13 year old to have need for them while at camp.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
That makes sense, Butrflynet.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 09:54 am
@chai2,
The tampons should be changed every few hours, to help prevent TSS--so she really needs to have a supply of them, rather than relying on bumming them from others.

And, if she is unfamiliar with using Tampons, she might not be sure which size to get to best control her flow. Some of this you need trial and error experience with. I think they do make Starter Kits for first time users.

It might be best for her to discuss the entire matter with her camp counselor as soon as she arrives at camp. They might allow her to take the swimming test after her period is over. And I'm sure they will supply her with Tampons if she needs them, even if they have to discuss it first with her aunt. There is no medical or health reason she shouldn't be able to use Tampons, and her aunt may be misinformed.
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:35 pm
@firefly,
This is going to be the last day or so of her period....meaning light and stopping flow.

As b-fly said, the counserlors will surely have a stockpile of them.

However, there is the concern if they give her some, and she uses them, the aunt, who sounds like the caregiver, could be really pissed off.

If I had a daughter of 13, who wanted to use them, but I didn't want her to use tampons yet, or at all, I'd be livid if an adult gave her one and showed her how to insert it.

I'm just sayin'

It's different if another girl did it. I might be mad, but hey, they're peers. Whattaya gonna do, huh?

In any event, I don't know that going away to camp would be the best time to start using tampons anyway.
There is an art to figuring out how long your body needs to have it changed, and if the flow is heavy you usually use a pad in addition anyway, for accidents.
firefly

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:53 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
In any event, I don't know that going away to camp would be the best time to start using tampons anyway.
There is an art to figuring out how long your body needs to have it changed, and if the flow is heavy you usually use a pad in addition anyway, for accidents.

I agree. It would have been much better if she had gotten the Tampons, one way or another, a few months ago, so she'd have more experience using them before going away to camp where she'd be doing things like swimming.

She must be at camp by now, so I guess she will have resolved her problem in some fashion.
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 07:30 pm
@firefly,
Thinking about it, it's not like the counselors haven't run into this sort of thing before, like a million times.

I imagine a lot of young ladies aren't using, or allowed to use tampons, and somehow the swimming thing get resolved.

Thinking back, the blood absolutley mortified me, the thought that others would see it.
0 Replies