Myself or me

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:44 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
You pointed to nothing, McTag. You gave no reference,

How many posts had been made up to that point? Eight short posts? So where was the difficulty in finding what I was referring to? Not rocket science, eh?

There was another reason. I did not want to needlessly embarrass the two people who advanced that idea.
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:50 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it you, Sire, who often complains about about these discussions that get off the topic of the OP?

I'm not sure whether I've ever complained about that. I know I often deliberately do it myself. It leavens the mix.
But this remark was not off topic. I was referring to a suggestion for an alternative phrase, a suggestion I disagreed with, and gave a reason. Not off-topic at all.

Btw drawing me into explanations of my posts IS off-topic and presumably of no interest to anyone.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:56 pm
@McTag,
It is not my duty to provide links to your posts and flesh out your ideas, McTag.

Quote:
There was another reason. I did not want to needlessly embarrass the two people who advanced that idea.

Then why did you even post? You don't think they could figure it out.
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:14 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
It is not my duty to provide links to your posts and flesh out your ideas, McTag.

No indeed, and that is why you were not asked to. I prefer my ideas spare. I try to make them complete in themselves. Posters who are interested can work things out for themselves quite easily; they don't have to be spoon-fed. Those who have further questions, can ask.

Quote:
Then why did you even post? You don't think they could figure it out.

Not every poster goes back carefully over the thread. My intention was to guide the OP (who presumably does) to understand that a particular suggestion had a flaw.
Otherwise, omelettes and eggs.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:17 pm
@McTag,
JTT: It is not my duty to provide links to your posts and flesh out your ideas, McTag.

Quote:
No indeed, and that is why you were not asked to.

McTag:
Quote:
How many posts had been made up to that point? Eight short posts? So where was the difficulty in finding what I was referring to? Not rocket science, eh?
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:24 pm
@JTT,

I don't get the logic of what you are trying to show here.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:29 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I don't get the logic of what you are trying to show here.

I say this,

JTT: It is not my duty to provide links to your posts and flesh out your ideas, McTag.

You reply,

Quote:
No indeed, and that is why you were not asked to.

But just one or two posts before that you sure seem to suggest I should be doing your work for you.

McTag:
Quote:
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:33 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
But just one or two posts before that you sure seem to suggest I should be doing your work for you.

Incorrect, disagree. Nothing to do with you. Anyone who's interested can look. Simple.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:43 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Incorrect, disagree. Nothing to do with you. Anyone who's interested can look. Simple.

Indeed they can. To make it easier, I've brought it forward for you and all to see.

---------------------------------

@JTT,

Quote:
JTT: You pointed to nothing, McTag. You gave no reference,

---------------------------------

Who were you speaking to, Spendius, Farmerman, ... ?
McTag

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:27 am
@JTT,

Quote:
Who were you speaking to, Spendius, Farmerman, ... ?

To state the obvious...context? Not too obscure, I think.

I think if the post contains the word "you", it's crystal-clear. If it does not, it's more general; anyone can read, it's not specific to any individual, "if the cap fits, wear it", all comments welcome.

Except stupid nasty ones, of course.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 11:20 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

"I'll send you a picture of. . . " conforms to the conditions you've outlined for the use of "myself," so it's, "I'll send you a picture of myself."

No, it doesn't. I is linked to send. We use 'myself' in a reflexive situation, that is where an action is applied by an individual to themselves. I hurt myself. I described myself. I cut myself. I took a picture of myself. The picture is of whom? It is of me. I'll send you a picture that I took of myself. I'll send you a picture of me.

Thank you for the clarification.
JTT

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:35 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
We use 'myself' in a reflexive situation,

You forgot to add, "except when we don't" which you had included in your first post.

Quote:
Myself is a reflexive or stressed pronoun, which means that, generally speaking, it should be used in conjunction with the subject pronoun I, not instead of the object pronoun me.

You've described that there are exceptions, C. Why haven't you expanded on that?

dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
@JTT,
I'm continually impressed by the depth of these technicalities
JTT

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 09:22 pm
@dalehileman,
Language is rocket science, Dale.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:12 am
@JTT,
Honest to Gosh
JTT

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Honest to Gosh

Indubitably, Dale.

Quote:
yourself, yourselves The use of the reflexive pronouns yourself, singular and yourselves, plural, in constructions where they are not reflexive or intensive has been criticized since at least the time of McCracken & Sandison 1917, chiefly by the same commentators who have attacked myself.

The OED shows yourself in uses neither reflexive nor emphatic from the 15th century on; ... [from] Robert Browning, ... Samuel Johnson, ... Jane Austen, ... Lewis Carroll, ... Robert Frost, ... Thomas Jefferson, ... James Thurber,

The MWDoEU page 971-972

[added emphasis, underlined is mine]

Perhaps these are the exceptions that Contrex noted with his "generally speaking", but he sure wasn't very helpful after that, was he?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 08:51 pm
@contrex,
And you still haven't summoned up the courage or the honesty to admit that you were wrong, even though you described yourself as mistaken in this first post of yours, C.

Myself is a reflexive or stressed pronoun, which means that, generally speaking,

People notice these differences in language use. That's why they ask questions about them.

What is it in your mind that prevents you from giving them the truth, right after you, yourself [emphatic RP use] point to that truth? Is what you're doing, what you too often do, what a teacher is supposed to do?
0 Replies