Dental Cleanings/Dental Work

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:52 pm
Anyone heard of deep cleanings done regularly by dentists? Does this need to be done regularly or would one visit suffice?

Also, have you ever heard of dentists suggesting crowns when one may not really be needed? The reason I am asking is my husband's dentist is saying he needs quarterly deep cleanings with no end in sight. And my dentist is suggesting I get a crown and when I asked why, he thought my tooth might result in a root canal. Now I don't have a cavity or anything and the reason is my tooth when looked at very closely has a slight line because of a cap. It doesn't make sense to me. I also know some one at the same dentist who has had crowns recommended. This dentist was recommended to me when my insurance changed and my previous dentist was not covered 100% by my new insurance.

Do dentists make up such work to drum up additional business? Am I paranoid?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,645 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:55 pm
I think you may correct in questioning what he says. I suggest getting a second opinion!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:56 pm
You may be paranoid, but you should get a second opinion.

I've never heard of "deep cleanings". Does your husband have previous dental issues that would cause him to need more than the two per year that everyone needs?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:06 pm
He hasn't had anything unusual. The dentist says he has some deep pockets in his gums. A previous dentist had said a similar thing, but made some suggestions on how to help resolve them. Like using a gum massager.

The dentist did check to see if these deep cleanings are covered by our insurance - they must exist because at least according to the dentist the insurance company will cover it. I will call the insurance company and see if they will pay for a second opinion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:11 pm
Go for it! I get it about every 2 to 3 years - I love the clean and I mean clean feeling after it's over and done, it's also a great way to maintain gum health if your is not 100%.
Removes the deep plaque(sp)

maybe he has some gum disease or has symtoms of getting it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:14 pm
gum disease IMO is like one of those shhhh - I don't wanna talk about it things. because the next judgemental questions that come are:
don't you brush 2x a day?
don't you floss regularly?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:15 pm
No comment on the crowns, but the deep cleaning is to prevent peridonatal disease. If deep pockets exist (around 10mm) the frequency is not out of line.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:37 pm
Re: Dental Cleanings/Dental Work
Linkat wrote:
Anyone heard of deep cleanings done regularly by dentists? Does this need to be done regularly or would one visit suffice?

Also, have you ever heard of dentists suggesting crowns when one may not really be needed? The reason I am asking is my husband’s dentist is saying he needs quarterly deep cleanings with no end in sight. And my dentist is suggesting I get a crown and when I asked why, he thought my tooth might result in a root canal. Now I don’t have a cavity or anything and the reason is my tooth when looked at very closely has a slight line because of a cap. It doesn’t make sense to me. I also know some one at the same dentist who has had crowns recommended. This dentist was recommended to me when my insurance changed and my previous dentist was not covered 100% by my new insurance.

I just came home from a visit to my dentist. Really nice guy. Spent 30 min on my tooth and didn't charge me a cent. How's that for a high caliber gent? Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
I'm with Roger and Husker. Deep cleaning is a peridonatal procedure.

As for the crown, is there any possibility of decay under the cap? Did the x-rays show infection?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:54 am
After a root canal procedure, you'll need a crown, That's why, your dentist mentioned it ( my guess ).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
I think the deep cleaning might be what's called a scalar cleaning. And the last time I had one was, um, I think 2002. So they weren't regularly scheduled for me. It's usually regular old cleanings that are scheduled for most patients on a quarterly basis. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. What should probably be happening is, he gets a scalar cleaning and the dentist checks him every quarter but if your husband does his best to maintain the level of cleanliness, he shouldn't need another scalar cleaning that soon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Thanks. As far as the deep cleanings, it is a scalar cleaning. But I believe that the other quarterly cleanings are not scalar. Just cleanings to ensure the pockets are cleaned appropriately. It seems this is preventive to avoid any gum disease. We verified it the cost will be little to us any way as the insurance is footing most of the bill. Appointments have been made.

Now for me. The dentist did take an xray and never mentioned decay. He only said it could be a cavity or it could in the future need a root canal, but it may not. It just sounded weird to me.

By the way you are all so full of great information.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:00 pm
This is something that varies from person to person. Some people's mouths are just more hospitable to bacteria (and thus to plaque and the subsequent formation of calculus) than others. A second opinion couldn't hurt, though. There are certainly a lot of dentists with big boat payments out there.

(Which reminds me, I'm due for another cleaning. Damn it.)
0 Replies

stopdentists

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:35 pm
96% of ALL Dentists are DISHONEST - So stop DentalThiefs
Hi Linkat - you are right on base with dentists being dishonest. One of the top dental consultants in the nation was quoted three yrs ago by saying that at least 96% of all dentists are thiefs. My x wife manages a dental office and for years she has seen case after case after case of dentists doing work that has no reason to be done. I am a business consultant and have dealt with these dishonest people over the years - they for the most part are a spineless group of people that are selfish, cowardly, self-serving, and care less about your teeth, but more about their own pockets. Make sure you never go to a dentist a month before their vacation - this is the greatest time when they get the most greedy - its called crown month or crown week - lets put as many crowns as possible in peoples mouths so that we can have lots of money to take on our vacation. One of the top oral surgeons in the country remarked that the best way to counter a dentists --- is to sit in their chair and just before you get going, look up and say "I wish I was in my sister's chair, she's a dentist in (make up a city) - but she is too far for me to see at this moment" - This way - the slimy bottom feeding dentists will more than likely only do what work they have to do in your mouth and not take you to the cleaners. If they ask you how often you see your sister - tell them every 6 mths. If they ask you what dental school they went to - say New York University in NY City if a US citizen and University of Alberta if a Canadian. This will centainly throw them off your wallet. Stay tuned - I will write again and tell you how you can SUE your dentist for work that he has performed for you in the past - this is an easy lawsuit - and will cost you about 4 to 8K in up front money, but will return you up to 110K in return. Remember 96% of all dentists may be thiefs.

Linkat wrote:

Also, have you ever heard of dentists suggesting crowns when one may not really be needed? The reason I am asking is my husband's dentist is saying he needs quarterly deep cleanings with no end in sight. And my dentist is suggesting I get a crown and when I asked why, he thought my tooth might result in a root canal. Now I don't have a cavity or anything and the reason is my tooth when looked at very closely has a slight line because of a cap. It doesn't make sense to me. I also know some one at the same dentist who has had crowns recommended. This dentist was recommended to me when my insurance changed and my previous dentist was not covered 100% by my new insurance.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:45 pm
That's quite an return on investment you're promising stopdentists. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
yikes! Who's calling the kettle black!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

One time I was in my dentist's office. He had a magazine called, "The Profitable Dentist". I sort of raised my eyebrow at this, but I really can't complain about him. He his not cheap, but he always gives you options, and has often given me estimates on a number of different ways to handle a problem, with the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
0 Replies

littlek

options are good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:56 pm
Oy- Take a look at this:

http://www.rd.com/common/nav/index.jhtml?articleId=9519799
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 05:14 pm